Psychopaths make up 4.5% of the adult population, according to a new meta-analysis

Originally published at: Psychopaths make up 4.5% of the adult population, according to a new meta-analysis | Boing Boing

4 Likes

And then there’s the death-cult Party of Demonstrable Bad Faith (motto: “The Cruelty is the Point!”)

I’m sure a study of self-identified Libertarians would show a high proportion of psychopaths as well.

32 Likes

That doesn’t explain nearly enough of the 74 million people who voted for trump.

21 Likes

radio or television characters

Characters or actors? Dexter or Michael C. Hall?

7 Likes

I believe that decimal point should be one more place to the right.

19 Likes

That percentage seems rather low, considering how badly we’ve seen people acting over the last decade.

22 Likes

Def need Tory politicians at a high rating there.

But it does list ‘journalistists and civil servants’ which somewhat includes our mini-trump of a PM…

8 Likes

The rest is explained by racism.

13 Likes

Psychopath != stupid. We’re running a surplus of both and there is definite overlap. But stupid is far more common.

Which makes me wonder: If you could press a button and end either stupidity or psychopathy, which would be better?

8 Likes

Thats actually an interesting question.

The worst possible type of psychopath is a competent one…

7 Likes

Depends - does the button transform all members of the eliminated group into the other? That sounds bad either way, but I guess a few more stupid people would be better than 10x psychopaths

3 Likes

I neither said nor implied that; I wrote exactly what I meant.

Try asking for clarifications, rather than just assuming.

14 Likes
7 Likes

Well, this is very disturbing, as previously what I’ve read indicated only a little over 1% of people were psychopaths, and that sociopaths outnumbered psychopaths 4 to 1.

Well, there are the sociopaths, too. If traditional ratios are correct, that would mean 16%+ of the population would be sociopaths. Though the potentially more disturbing thought is that people don’t have to be socio/psychopaths to be massive, cruel assholes. That “regular” people can be trained to act like psychopaths.

12 Likes

Indeed; I think that number is even larger.

Still, I maintain my original point; someone like DeSantis in FL, for instance:

He seems like a bonafide psychopath, actively trying to get lots of people killed needlessly.

19 Likes

Psychopathy is just an excuse. Think on how many psychopaths don’t kill people.

7 Likes

I think I’d need to see their definition of psychopath before I’d accept their numbers.

7 Likes

If the traditional accepted ratios of sociopaths to psychopaths is true, that means something slightly upwards of 20% of the population, total. We start getting into the “crazification factor” numbers…

I’ve always suspected that a fair number of politicians (of both parties) are sociopaths, but the psychopath ratio among Republican politicians has got to be insanely high at this point. Most people with a conscience left because of Trump. In terms of national-level Republican politicians, psychopaths must be making up a significant percentage (close to a majority, even) - all the most visible R politicians seem to be psychopaths, certainly. In fact, I’m guessing there’s only a few who aren’t at least sociopaths.

14 Likes

I concur.

12 Likes

(This has a meh intro, starts getting good at 1:45 in or so. First found this in a Fatboy Slim mix.)