Do You Have an Antisocial Personality Disorder?

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/02/do-you-have-an-antisocial-pers.html

Tom the Dancing Bug, IN WHICH the reader can discover if he/she has the acute psychological disorder that qualifies him/her to be the Republican nominee for President!

6 Likes

Iā€™ve come to appreciate TTDB over the past few years. Bollingā€™s art has developed along with his storytelling chops. So I say this as a fan whoā€™s been won over.

Do not conflate mental illness with people who actually harm society on any level.

The vast majority of people who actually get diagnosed with psychological disorders are people trying, for better worse, to fit into a neurotypical world. Stigmatizing them by associating them with the likes of Trump and the GOP does no good whatsoever for the world.

I know itā€™s old hat, regardless of your politics, to dismiss destructive individuals as crazy, and to psychoanalyze high-profile people despite having no direct contact with them. A generation of pop psychology has led to to a total disregard for it requiring real medical expertise. Itā€™s a cop-out. Youā€™re not a psychologist and Trump is not your patient. Heā€™s a monster because heā€™s a vile person, not but because you think he ticks some boxes in the DSM.

Check your ableism.

I still like your comics. I hope you hear this. You seem like a really decent person.

40 Likes

Thatā€™s crazy talk!

7 Likes

I just looked up antisocial personality disorder and that pretty much sums up what it is.

It also is hard to treat because if you want to recover from mental illness you need to want to get better, whereas people with ASPD tend to believe they are better.

I agree with you about armchair diagnosis though.

28 Likes

Yea, I also recall a study that found a shocking number of top CEOā€™s had one or more symptoms of sociopathy. Obviously thatā€™s not a diagnosis, but maybe it shouldnā€™t be ignored.

5 Likes

Itā€™s really telling, and very depressing, when you think about the qualities our culture rewards. It doesnā€™t have to be this way, but how do we change it now??

9 Likes

But itā€™s MURICAN!!! to be a rich asshole prick that degrades women and looks down on the poor!

7 Likes

YES

12 Likes

(???)

2 Likes

Aside from conflating them with fictional characters like Hannibal Lector, one of the things that seems to irritate a number of people with actual ASPD is the amount of people who want to be like them.

The only thing I can think of is that women supposedly have 1/3 of the rate of ASPD to men, and thereā€™s a huge gender gap among CEOs (especially in top companies). Correct that, and you might get a change in the qualities considered necessary to become a leader.

11 Likes

I have an AntiStupid Personality.

7 Likes

Itā€™s funny absolutely terrifying because itā€™s true!

But when talking about personality disorders, we are starting to get into people who harm society - narcissists, sociopaths, psychopathsā€¦ These are also the types of mental disorders that arenā€™t popularly thought of as ā€œmental illnessesā€ so much as clinical descriptions of people being assholes. Trump is a generally terrible person, but his being a narcissist is contributing to that.

11 Likes

I have a stupid personality.

ā€œBAD personality! BAD, BAD Stupid personality!ā€

4 Likes

Nailed it.

5 Likes

Looky here. Spozinā€™ Gentleman A in Whateverville wants a buncha 100-watt light bulbs for his porch and gentleman B in nearby Whatevercity says he cainā€™t have any. Then Gentleman A sees Candidate T with a big hotel with it all lit up bright out front with a million lightbulbs and gold and everything. If Candidate T has already proven his strength by how he treats the help why then itā€™s only a matter of time till gentleman A gets his 100-watt bulbs, right?

All this talk about alphabet disorders and fancy words just means Gentleman A needs to remind Gentleman B about his shotgun in the back room. Free country, ainā€™t it?

1 Like

No society for you!! 2 years!!

3 Likes
4 Likes

Satireā€¦

From googles first hit.

noun
noun: satire

the use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize peopleā€™s stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

2 Likes

###Do You Have an Antisocial Personality Disorder?

No ā€˜disordersā€™ that I know of, but I do often feel pretty damn antisocial.

14 Likes

In the converse, we do a disservice to society by pretending that Trumpā€™s behavior doesnā€™t align closely with the outward symptoms of sociopathy and clinical narcissism. You only aid Trump with calls to ā€œCheck your ableismā€.

I think a better approach is to recognize that mental illness is not homogeneous, so that we can both call out Trump, and others, for their anti-social behaviors and, at the same time, recognize that most mental illness does not lead to violence against others.

Trying to pretend that Trump isnā€™t showing anti-social behavior is like when cops in the DARE program lie to kids by exaggerating the dangers of marijuana rather than giving accurate information about relative risks.

1 Like