New York Times editorial: Trump is mentally ill

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/05/new-york-times-editorial-trum.html

7 Likes

Wait…

Did he just insult Robin Williams?

RIP, forever

33 Likes

like every other politician? “I don’t know, but I will check” is a line I would love to here more often from my political overlords.

19 Likes

Is this a post about Trump or Brooks? Or, maybe…

20 Likes

Via Slate

“Look, having nuclear—my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart—you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world—it’s true!—but when you’re a conservative Republican they try—oh, do they do a number—that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune—you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged—but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me—it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right—who would have thought?), but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners—now it used to be three, now it’s four—but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years—but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.”

Yeah, something seems to be the teensiest bit off with this guy.

39 Likes

37 Likes

Journalistically, this is not a NYT editorial. This is an op-Ed by a New York Times(syndicated) columnist.

Also, damn right - Drumpf is a dangerous friggin loon. Also damn right that Brooks putting it in medically referenceable yet not ethically arrived-at terms is a questionable move.

18 Likes

excuse my ignorance - I don’t get the Brooks reference. too many politicians had and have this name

blargh, the author of the piece. nevermind.

9 Likes

Well, ladies and gentlemen, it’s quiet time: give a warm welcome to David Brooks!

Huh, here I was thinking Trump was crazy, but now I must be wrong.

10 Likes

Yeah, that’s pretty much my reaction to this piece. I’m not saying that Trump doesn’t have some serious issues, but just waving a “mental illness” wand over them doesn’t help anyone.

18 Likes

Much of this could be said again about the base that supports the GOP candidate. They occupy the nation with their literal madness, enshrining it as a brave new common sense or even as a toxic corrosive morality.

3 Likes

I’m worried that if @beschizza keeps up the Photoshop antics, in 3 months I’ll be mentally ill.

24 Likes

I used to use them as wallpaper on the staff computers back during the early primaries.

The closer he got to securing the nomination, the less funny it was; I eventually had to stop for fear that I was unknowingly participanting in the act of bringing this monster into existence.

12 Likes

We need a new tag: NSFS

Not Safe For Sanity

15 Likes

I think that cosplayers would refer to him as a “genderswitched Sarah Palin.” Same random speech pattern that is only SLIGHTLY more coherent than pure word-salad.

8 Likes

tracing random paths through the vaporwave fractal landscape of his paranoid obsessions

A+ for that line.

19 Likes

Yeah, whatever.
All I know is it’s worked for him throughout his life, and it’s working for him now.

2 Likes

While I think Trump is nuts, this is not a professional diagnosis. I also think David Brooks is nuts. One of my favorite articles performing amateur psychology is on Brooks: I Don’t Think David Brooks Is Okay, You Guys.

11 Likes

19 Likes

It’s pointlessly reckless to talk about the mental state of someone you’ve never met. I’m not saying Trump is sane, but David Brooks is a reckless buffoon - this is what got people in trouble during Goldwater’s run (a man who presaged Trump’s fundamental appeal). He’s not a trained mental health professional, he’s just tossing around stereotypes to be insulting.

Which, you know, is how Trump got to be the leader of the Republican party and the Conservative movement in the first place.

So you know, good on you, Brooks, for fighting the symptom while clearly exhibiting the rotting illness at the heart that gave rise to this scenario.

16 Likes