Study finds that right-wing authoritarians aren't very funny

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/08/study-finds-that-right-wing-authoritarians-arent-very-funny.html

3 Likes

There are two films about Nazis killing comedians. One is locked in a vault and the other was a made for cable film that was meh.

6 Likes

Who’da thunk?

12 Likes

Like, duuuuuuh.

8 Likes
15 Likes

while right-wing authoritarians have a hearty sense of humor for jokes that make fun of low-status and marginalized people, they struggle to produce funny material

That’s the (obvious) core of the issue: mean-spirited punching down is bullying, not comedy.

35 Likes

/r/TheRightCantMeme

13 Likes

The results feel about right. But man - 180 people who are all about 19 sounds suspiciously like a class project as far as data goes.

11 Likes

Humor requires a degree of self criticism which authoritarians lack any understanding or just a natural aversion to. So none of this surprises me. What surprises me is how much authoritarians (particularly right wingers) don’t want to admit as much. So many times I’ve seen folks like Steven Crowder try to make skits and all I can do is cringe. Hell when I was a dyed in the wool right winger my go to for comedy was George Carlin because he was on the money when it came to the lack of any kind of self awareness on the right so it was hilarious. Mind you, right wingers hate comedy roasts so none of this is common for them to accept or grasp.

25 Likes

RWA’s think that they are HILARIOUS. Because they have very little contact with objective reality.

7 Likes

I dunno, man…last week I heard a hilarious bit from Dennis Miller about how Joe Biden is sleepier than Rasputin after he’s had a few too many bowls of borscht at a Sid Vicious continental breakfast and Rush Limbaugh did a pretty spot-on impression of an effeminate liberal voice.

10 Likes

“That was a joke! Laugh! Or I shoot you!”

RWAs are capable of eliciting laughter, just not intentionally.

7 Likes

Oh, Dennis Miller. While I remember him being reasonably funny on SNL back in the day, he’d started to lose it before he took a turn to the right after 9/11.

I realize this is perhaps not the right place to bring this up, but his post-SNL Monday Night Football appearances were just embarrassing (they canned him shortly after 9/11). Although at least he wasn’t Rush Fucking Limbaugh–who himself is the perfect example of the right wing authoritarian who thinks bullying is fucking hilarious.

9 Likes

Shoulda gone with this head-line: “Nothing funny about right-wing authoritarians”

4 Likes

Making fun of authoritarians is funny

19 Likes

Unsurprising to those who read the Dunning-Kruger paper, with one of its correlating experiments being judging one’s own sense of humor.

6 Likes

See also: Fox’s attempt at a conservative version of the Daily Show: “The Half Hour News Hour.”

9 Likes

And the low end is only 18. So probably just a few token non-teenagers.

1 Like

came for this, happy to have found it.

1 Like