Technophobia goes off the Depp end in Transcendence [Movie Review]

… so, did you like it or not? :smile:

As a former AI researcher and developer I can point out a few things; the plausability of the first premise (strong AI in normal computers) is so low as not even to begin to beg any questions. We indeed need a quantum leap (hehe) before we can start talking about any of this being close to doable.

Next, I quite like the concept of AI, however I’ve never really seen a movie do it much justice. There’s nothing in the premise that it always have to turn out bad; that’s just Hollywood looking for a villain, and not a real exploration of the idea. In some ways, I think “Short Circuit” got it pretty good. Enjoy. :smile:

Also, strong AI will be nothing like a human consciousness, and there is no way to “capture a human brain” in any way or form. We can simulate fractions of neural nets, but we still even know how such a system actually works. We’ve got little fragments of hints, but the biggest hint so far is that nothing in the brain is of a binary nature, nor is there anything of it that are separated from complexity in a fragmented (and hence storable) fashion. We hear too often about memories, and think they have any relation to the RAM memory of computers. There is none. Nix. Nada. Zilch. Ingenting. Zip. Nothing.

With quantum computing we’re hobbling a few feet forward, but that is more about storing and processing more for your buck, and has nothing to do with, say, organic computing (which I suspect might give us better answers).

Which, of course, I wish someone in Hollywood would understand. Until then, popcorn and misleading nonsense for entertainment all around! Yay!

3 Likes