Tesla Motors: Yes, we have no self-driving cars in the pipeline. But we will soon offer some sick new rides

[Permalink]

Usually when someone on the internet offers to “unveil the D” on the internet, I block/delete them.

5 Likes

Awesome. Another more expensive model.

Offer one I can afford and I’ll buy it. Where is the Model 3? I thought the Tesla Model X was meant to be more affordable than the S when it was first conceived, but that seems to have gone by the wayside.

My next car purchase will be an electric one, and it won’t be a Nissan Leaf or a BMW i3.

3 Likes

They want to add an “improvement” to recognize speed limit signs and have the car adjust to the limit? Most people aren’t going to like that.

1 Like

Not that I wouldn’t be tempted to put it to the test, but does the ability to do 0-60 in 3 seconds have any actual utility whatsoever in a non-racing vehicle?

Take a look at the Ford Focus EV. It is my first American car. We are enjoying it!

Utility is certainly a hard word to use for it, but there’s basically two use cases for speed over the Civic/Focus baseline that I can see.

1. Track days, where you can pay to put your car on a track for an afternoon. I know some folks who do this, but it can be expensive.

2. Ability to react to stuff happening around you on the freeway and get out of the way. Example: guy talking on his cellphone yesterday merged into me, and someone was tailgating me as well. If I hadn’t noticed and floored it in time, I would have been in an accident. In my opinion, this is something you can get at around the ‘slightly faster’ range of cars.

There’s also something to be said about just having a fast car in the same way that having a drill capable of drilling through a block of steel is awesome even if you never use it for that.

2 Likes

Utility is found in sports-utility vehicles, not sports cars.Sports cars exist to not be racing vehicles, but to be nearly as impractical.

1 Like

Sorry, so sorry, we have no bananas self driving cars today…

The original version…

The version for the child of the 80s…

Actually if you look at what the car can do, it’s about as “self driving” a car as should be on the road today; it steers itself on highway-like conditions, reads speed limit signs and obeys them, it stops itself if there’s an obstruction, and it shifts lanes automatically when the driver clicks the turn signal. While that’s not fully-automated A-to-B gps powered self-driving, it’s pretty close. And apparently it has a “valet mode” that can actually leave you at your front door and park itself in the garage, then pick you up when you’re ready to go.

All pretty amazing stuff for a production vehicle, nevermind that it’s a fully electric sedan that does 0-60 faster than any Porsche 911.* It’s like living in the future, if you can afford it.

*Correction: apparently the 911 Turbo S models will get there .2 seconds faster.

What I want is this + Google cars.

Yes, it turns out it’s very self-driving.

It can drive on roads, observe the speed limit, and adjust to other cars in the roads. It can also self-park and apparently come to you when called, like Night Rider.

This headline is weird. It doesn’t say what the source of “Yes, we have no self-driving cars in the pipeline” is. It makes it sound like a quote, but it obviously isn’t. Just the rumour mill?

You forgot: giggling like an idiot when you do 0-60 in 3 seconds.

Also if you take an EV to the track, plan it out. ~200 miles of range is quickly depleted at track conditions. Gasoline powered cars need to refuel at least once during the day. So unless, the event has battery swaps, you’ll need to juice up before going home.

Decolletage?

Why would anyone want a sick ride?

Around here, if you take more than four or five seconds to get up to speed after the green light, you’ll get honked at.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.