Tesla's "car-as-service" versus your right to see your data

[Permalink]

1 Like

Do Tesla really sell their cars as a service, a la power by the hour?

If I could get one and pay per mile as a service charge instead of the up front cost, I might be interested.

I will have to reconsider how I would spend the money if Publisherā€™s Clearinghouse ring the doorbell next month.

1 Like

Wait, what? No! Thatā€™s not what we meant at all!

You know, I think a movement is in order. The more companies do things like this with data, and the more fear and paranoia spread about government and corporations knowing absolutely everything, the more demand there will be for low-tech solutions - cars that donā€™t drive themselves, for example, and have an engine as simple as a '65 Beetle. Keys and locks made of metal. That kind of thing.

Microprocessors are amazing tools of the future and allā€¦ but maybe an internet of things is not your friend.

4 Likes

I had the same realization when all the voting machines were going digital. There are times and places where you really donā€™t want that sort of ā€˜convenienceā€™ clashing with the need for change control.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if the opacity of the electronic voting machines is a bug or a feature. I live in Ohio.

Which is why weā€™re stupid to ever let our lives depend on devices built on non-free software. If the Tesla had been running all free software and open standards, there would never have been a problem. And Tesla the company doesnā€™t have one legitimate reason not to.

2 Likes

Tell that to Matt Inman; maybe itā€™d make a difference.

He got a million bucks out of Elon Muskā€¦

1 Like

Businesses efforts to monetizing the data they harvest and sequester typifies the hyper-accelerated process of diminishing returns.

How far will businesses go to protect their ā€œassetsā€? How wide will become the gap between living breathing human beings and the businesses that sell or rent them stuff?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.