Researchers find mountains of sensitive data on totalled Teslas in junkyards

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/30/greentheonly.html

5 Likes

Is there a point where you can generate so much insecure data about yourself it becomes prohibitive to sift through? Should that be the new strategy?

8 Likes

I think you’d be better off generating a bunch of fake data about yourself. I suspect buying a Tesla to do it might not be cost effective.

15 Likes

This doesn’t seem like the easiest form of identity theft.

4 Likes

I’ve long been a critical of Tesla, but I don’t think this is necessarily nefarious. This is likely because someone that messes around with their devices in unsupported ways are more likely to be broken by a software update than those that don’t.

This happens all the time - some clever person tweaks some undocumented configuration file or patches a binary with a hex editor to work around something only to find the next update screws them over. Engineering resources are finite and nobody is going to waste time verifying unsupported configurations.

By pushing these outliers to the bottom of the queue Tesla is more likely to be able to find and fix issues with typical setups first rather than waste cycles investigating problems on untested/atypical configurations.

10 Likes

And people are worried about the hypothetical, future privacy intrusions to be brought about by autonomous vehicles. I’ve been suggesting that the most current models of cars are already data-collecting, privacy nightmares; the only question is how much of that data is being sent back to corporate headquarters. (And we know that the answer is: some, at least.)

Nah. I mean, that point was reached long ago if human beings were hand-sorting through the data, but unleash some algorithms on that data-mass and not only will they be picking out the tastiest nuggets in no time, but the more data you give them, the more they can extrapolate out of it.

10 Likes

Jeepers! Makes me think about this funny old song:

Except it ain’t that funny no more.
2 Likes

will musk have to get some shotwell

from the excellent new Shoshona Zuboff book, mentioned previously here on Boing.

3 Likes

And soon we well all get to use Johnny Cabs a la Total Recall. Weirdly, this is an actual thing in Honolulu already.

Never mind that Voyager record, wait until the aliens find this:

2 Likes

That’s why I always pick my nose when I think there’s a camera. They’re gonna have to find a nose-picking fetishist to sort through my data.

1 Like

Yet another place that cries out for big red zeroize buttons and probably won’t get them.

1 Like

the fact that Tesla also operates a robust bug bounty system reveals a deep ambivalence about independent scrutiny about its products.

How does operating a robust bug bounty system reveal ambivalence about security scrutiny? It seems to me that it reveals the opposite?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.