Across America, DMVs make millions selling your license data to private eyes -- and randos

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/26/pennies-per-record.html

Un-allocated funding, yay :exclamation:

/s

1 Like

i keep telling y’all, privacy has been dead for years now – we just need to realize it.

4 Likes

What then?

3 Likes

And if your DMV uses an automated system where you check in and “wait in line” with your phone, all your info is linked to your cell number.

3 Likes

then we won’t be wasting all this time being surprised about this sort of thing.

image **

**We reserve the sole and exclusive right to retain and sell infinite numbers of copies of your license data at our sole discretion. Yay for computers!

Oh, I see. I thought you had some sort of clever plan in mind.

1 Like

If only it were possible to opt out of other people’s stupidity.

5 Likes

BTW, do you have an explanation for how privacy is still perfectly alive and well for the rich and powerful?

1 Like

is it? even zuckerberg has had his data stolen.

1 Like

I am not sure I disagree with this: public licenses are public information, yes?

1 Like

All the info on my Texas driver’s license is public info. Seems to me other states figured out a pretty good scam.

1 Like

Gee, I wonder if there were some way to get money from citizens in general to pay for public services like DMVs, instead of making them scrounge for resources.

1 Like

I’d like to see all kinds of legislative and technological solutions to curb these kinds of abuses, but there’s already a lot of personal data already out there on lots of unsecured databases, so we’re better off moving on to a harm reduction approach.

Correct. Wealth and tech skills only offer limited immunity from invasions of privacy. There are plenty of holes in these systems – some purpose-designed like this DMV racket – that even the most privileged and careful person can’t avoid.

1 Like

True. Even if we were able to curb it now, the only way you could distance yourself from the data already available is a complete change of identity, and who has time and money for that?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.