Texas judge grants schools the right to demand Black students cut their hair

Level of enforcement though? I don’t have time right now, but I bet I could find long haired people in school photos since they appear to have a large media page.

2 Likes

Or Highlanders - one of the reason I grew my hair out.

duncan11

11 Likes

But if a classmate had the same length hair, you’d eventually have to fight to the death.

6 Likes

f u middle finger GIF by Bobbi DeCarlo

14 Likes

“The U.S. Supreme Court recently ruled that affirmative action is a violation of the 14th Amendment and we believe the same reasoning will eventually be applied to the CROWN Act.” -Barbers Hill Independent School District Superintendent Greg Poole

That is so fucking infuriating. I have no words

17 Likes

These weird attempts to police gender norms by adhering to a 1950s’ set of styles is always quite telling. Because short hair on boys hasn’t been a cultural norm since then (and it wasn’t before then, either). It’s a throwback to a style completely out of sync with the culture of the kids, their parents, and school staff and administrators. But it is referencing a period of time before the civil rights, gay rights and feminist movements, which is the appeal.

And some styles are only differentiated by length. One doesn’t even need to have a handle on logic to see the problem… he’s just straight-up ignoring the law.

11 Likes

Or even visit or go through. I will not fly through Texas airports. I will not do business there. I will never drive through it. I will never ever live there.

Fuck Texas.

5 Likes

Same. As someone who sends listeners out of state to concerts (I run an adult-alternative radio station) we won’t be doing anything that involves Texas in any way.

7 Likes

I don’t have a clip, but I was thinking more the first Police Academy

1 Like

It’s…(checks calendar)…2024.

3 Likes

Fuckers.

The rule doesn’t say how tall one’s hair can be… :face_with_monocle:

When I got re-zoned to a new high school in ‘86 on the first day of classes a random authoritarian coach accosted me in the hall that my (Robert Smith-ish) hair was “not appropriate” and he better “see something different tomorrow.”

Ok.

The next day I showed up sporting a big ole orange Mohawk. Dude freaked out. It was great. But I got kicked out of school. But I was a good student, so I literally finished high school by driving to another school I wasn’t zoned for and just going to classes there instead.

18 Likes

A bit more background:
George, an African-American student, wears his hair in locs which his mother said he has been growing out for years but keeps in a neat, protective style while in school.
He was first suspended, then sent to an alternative school, and then placed in In-School Suspension where he has been for the past seven months.
George and his family described the treatment he endured during ISS as inhumane, citing prolonged periods sitting on a hard stool and being served bologna for lunch daily.
Currently, the student and his family argue that the district’s continuation of this punishment violates the CROWN Act. Ironically, this law was passed following a similar incident at the same school in 2020.

Emphasis mine.
So, even though his hair as he wears it at school meets the code, that’s not good enough for these control freaks.
They run rampant in Texas schools, and have for as long as I can remember.

This place is about 30 or so miles east of Houston. You don’t have to drive very far outside any of the large cities in Texas to find yourself in very red territory.

And every damned one of em are being influenced by billionaires who set the agenda for the Troika and Politboro in Texas.

Not all of Texas is a christofascist hellhole, nor are all Texans MAGAts.
There’s even a Pacifica station in Houston…

9 Likes

Came here for…
Was not disappointed, etc. etc.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Bingo.

The widespread, ceaseless, low-grade fever that runs through many power structures in conservative Texas (I am writing from Austin, a liberal stronghold) is all about control, especially white control plus oftentimes whatever the control freak in question’s idea of Christian values is.

Yes thank you.

The Powers That Be’s obsession with control puts the lie to the much-touted Texas Freedom® motto so beloved by Texans (and others including–increasingly–folks from countries I previously thought knew better, frankly) drunk on our state’s mythos.

Yer free alright as long as yer in with the in-crowd.
All y’all others? Be told!
Anyone who has any doubts at all about the double standard here need only to look at our state’s Republican priorities in our Texas lege…

https://archive.ph/laEPI

The Texas MAGA Republicans (Texas does have different kinds of Republicans) know what they want, know what they are doing, why they are doing it, and who they have in their sights next. That school principal Poole knows he has enablers, and it sure seems he likes his chances:

… “The U.S. Supreme Court recently ruled that affirmative action is a violation of the 14th Amendment, and we believe the same reasoning will eventually be applied to the CROWN Act,” Poole said.

Last summer, the U.S. Supreme Court overturned 40 years of legal precedent and rejected race-conscious admissions in higher education at Harvard University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The majority found that the universities’ admissions policies, which use race as one of several factors in college admissions, violated the Constitution’s equal protection clause, which mandates that people are treated equally under the law. The majority of justices found that the race-based policies do not pass “strict scrutiny,” meaning the policies are not justified by a compelling state interest. …

Texas tragicomedy break, unavoidably with some Texas pols on the list:

https://archive.ph/NAWJV

9 Likes

Well I came here for Mary Woronov reading her new rules to the students of Rock and Roll High. A cartoon villan in 1980 just about word for word reading this regulation.

3 Likes

Is UN convention on the rights of the child not relevant here? Or is the US not signatory? In my eyes these rulings are in conflict with the charter.

https://www.ohchr.org/en/instruments-mechanisms/instruments/convention-rights-child

2 Likes

Aw hell, flouting anything the UN has to say on a matter is a selling point for the Texas MAGA folks. They will go out of their way to stick it to the UN-anything. If there’s one thing they hate more than federal gummint, it’s world gummint. Guaranteed.

Here’s my countdown to the minutes or seconds until Greg Abbott put himself in front of the media cameras boasting long and loud just how Texas is stickin’ it to the UN, were such an opportunity to present itself.

9 Likes

So hair length is still an issue after so many years. But these are black kids, so I’m not surprised. My hair was much longer in high school, 68-70, no problem for anyone in public HS, but had several friends that came over from private (Catholic) schools that had been booted for being long-haired freaks. Lots of black kids had the most gloriously big Afros then. The model was Angela Davis, I think. No problems. And this was in Kansas. Who could imagine?

2 Likes

I get that but is there not some kind of process where some legal authority can say “Well actually, you can’t make that judgement because these preexisting statues, laws, treaties, etc.”

2 Likes

It states “boy’s hair will not extend below the eyebrows, below the ear lobes, or below the top of a t-shirt collar.”

No hair below your t-shirt collar? Sounds like you just need to wear a polo shirt and then you can grow your hair as long as you want.

2 Likes