Texas judge grants schools the right to demand Black students cut their hair

Probably not, since the USA is the only member of the UN not to ratify the treaty.

7 Likes

The Haircut Order was authoritarian bullshit 120 years ago, and it is still authoritarian bullshit now.

The law is also transphobic as well as racist, but when have Republicans missed an opportunity for intersectional bigotry?

15 Likes

The Powers That Be who run Texas have a rather selective interpretation and implementation of laws, justice, obedience to authority etc. Here’s the lowdown on our state’s [elected] Chief Legal Officer1 who is still in office:

Legal authority for many current power structures here is barely a speed bump.
Same goes for logic. Science. Reality.

The history of Black oppression in the U.S. is wide, deep and very much still a thing. People in power like Poole and certain Texas judges who seek to further such oppression have an outsize effect on Black folk and on those of us who don’t have the money to fight back in the courts if justice can even be had, in Texas.

There are days when I can’t see how we’d get justice, and by “we” I am referring to my fellow Texans as well as my fellow Americans. Real justice here doesn’t only require money. It requires honest brokers and impartial judges and good faith.

What’s happening in Texas is happening in a lot of places in the U.S.
Only difference is Texans2 are extra good at hoggin’ up media oxygen in a news cycle.

The main responsibilities of the Office of the Attorney General are defending the State of Texas and its duly elected laws by providing legal representation to the State, serving the children of Texas through the enforcement of the state’s child support laws, securing justice for Texans, protecting Texans from waste, fraud, and abuse, and safeguarding the freedoms of Texans as guaranteed by the United States and Texas constitutions.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17405900410001674515

9/11, spectacles of terror, and media manipulation

A critique of Jihadist and Bush media politics

Douglas Kellner

:100:

13 Likes

Not mentioned in this article, but mentioned in the reboing that was closed, is the judge’s name, which I couldn’t have made up if I tried: Chap B. Cain III. Like some kind of 80’s movie villain. What a disgrace.

1 Like

Home economics as well if you’re cooking, but that’s easily remedied by getting the same type of hairnets the cafeteria stuff wears for the home ec students.

5 Likes

But they lack self-reflection, and any real awareness of hypocrisy escapes them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.