A Texas high school desperately wants a Black student to change his hairstyle

Originally published at: A Texas high school desperately wants a Black student to change his hairstyle | Boing Boing

4 Likes

That this is happening at the “Barbers Hill Independent School District” sounds like a bad joke.

39 Likes

What a hill for the bigots to die on.

31 Likes

So much overt discrimination and bigotry here -sigh-

two gratuitous fun-facts for gormless (bald) old folks (like moi):

• “loc hairstyle”: The locs hairstyle features rope-like strands of hair formed by locking or braiding the hair.

• Austin CROWN Act. The CROWN Act stands for “Creating a Respectful and Open World for Natural Hair”.

(and yes indeed to @Brainspore i was really suspecting a silly joke after hitting “Barbers Hill…”)

24 Likes

This elderly gormless slaphead thanks you for your information. :+1::older_man:

11 Likes

Yes, hair in braids is dangerous, could incite a revolution:

20 Likes

The code states that “male students’ hair will not extend, at any time, below the eyebrows or below the ear lobes,” CNN previously reported.

“We’re not enforcing a racist policy, we’re enforcing a sexist policy! Honest!”

28 Likes

I was literally typing this as you posted. Flat-tops only for the boys in the Barbers Hill district, apparently.

9 Likes

The school board can’t read, apparently.

4 Likes

Trying to keep hair in a style unsuited for the hair type has a time cost too.

13 Likes

An obviously stupid policy and I think it’s pretty clear that the district would find ways to punish people who still technically met that requirement but in a way that they didn’t like.

10 Likes

Some religious groups consider hair style a manifestation of their faith like Seik and Rastafarians. Locks are a Rasta manifestation of faith.

15 Likes

That’s true, but probably not relevant in this case. The law that the article is talking about should provide protection from these discriminatory policies regardless of this student’s faith. (And there was no indication that he is Rasta.)

9 Likes

It’s a very good-looking hairstyle, too, I would say.

Darryl-George-330x200-1150856339

26 Likes

I saw pics of his hairstyle previously and thought it looked pretty neat and tidy, it’s well done and don’t see why it would be a problem (besides the obvious conversation around racism). I really hope that the parents sue

11 Likes

I don’t care what hill bigots die on, I just wish they’d get on with it already.

19 Likes

If that’s really the hairstyle in question it doesn’t even look like it violates the rules they’re claiming to enforce; it doesn’t go anywhere near his eyebrows or below his earlobes.

14 Likes

That is the student in question. And his hair looks great in addition to not violating the school’s stated dress code.

Racism is the only explanation for the district’s actions. Parents, sue away!

21 Likes

Family ABSOLUTELY should have a lawyer present at that meeting. And record it or have press there (TX being a one party consent state).

Insist for on-the-record clarity for WHY, and what the consequences will / will not be.

10 Likes

Sooo… full body shave below the lobes?
Or is it saying mandatory bowl cuts at eyebrow level?

7 Likes