Texas judge grants schools the right to demand Black students cut their hair

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/22/texas-judge-grants-schools-the-right-to-demand-black-students-cut-their-hair.html

22 Likes

What. The. Fuck?

41 Likes

I live in a craptacular Red state so I won’t make broad generalizations about Texas. But wow. Racists have no problems being openly racist and there is no shame anymore.

24 Likes

Protest. All students, shave your heads.

And/or shave slogans into them. “BLM” should be pretty easy.

18 Likes

“boy’s hair will not extend below the eyebrows, below the ear lobes, or below the top of a t-shirt collar.”

Do any other resident ancients like me remember this exact language being used during the Beatles panic?

31 Likes

And the card said Moops, so there you go.

14 Likes

How is length not an integral part of “style”. Ridiculous.

Honestly unless maybe there is a really bad lice infestation, schools shouldn’t have any say about kids hair.

16 Likes

Probably taken from various armed services regulations, which serve as a vast reservoir of bullshit.

8 Likes

Sometimes, with statutes, legislative intent can be unclear, and in those cases, it’s appropriate for a court to substitute its own opinion. That’s not the case here. One of the authors of the statute actually testified in court as to the intent of the legislation. That should have been the end of the legal analysis. This is a good example of a conservative court doing what Republicans have always accused liberal courts of doing: legislating from the bench. They don’t agree with the law, so they kneecapped it. It’s completely inappropriate.

39 Likes

the judge has somehow determined that LENGTH is not STYLE

You cannot have any style without some length, therefore length is a subset of style. Judge needs a lesson in logic.

(Texas judge, you say. Oh well, never mind. As you were. There is no logic in Texas law-making.)

16 Likes

So this means that there are zero Joe Dirt level mullets around? No rat tails? Based on a very cursory review of any news topic out of Texas, I can see an awful lot of people with that length of hair.

I wonder what might be the difference causing the enforcement? I certainly cannot imagine.

20 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if the judge was also an Originalist, who pretends to divine the intent of the drafters of the Constitution.

13 Likes

Bastards. As a longtime longhair all I can say is “Gimme a head with hair.”.

15 Likes

The only educational setting I can think of where hair length is relevant is shop class, and that’s easily remedied by requiring students to tie their hair up around power tools.

25 Likes

With regard to hair length?

Yeah, nah

21 Likes

Exactly. Nowhere in this country is perfect, but a lot of people in Texas are working very hard to ensure it is as unwelcome a place to live as possible.

12 Likes

“Schrodinger’s douchebag” perfect explanation of the “debate” I kept having with someone who would simultaneously describe the Jan 6 insurrectionists as patriots fighting for America, and also antifa BLM FBI plants."

12 Likes

Well, you see, what happens is, when a mummy and a daddy hate other people’s children very much, they vote for the Republican Party, and this emboldens bigots of every strip, turning the state into a blazing dumpster fire of apocalyptic proportions. :+1:

But, in the eyes of the establishment, those are the white kind of people.

10 Likes

shaved bald and bedecked with a wig?

6 Likes

The place is not Joe Dirt-friendly apparently.

7 Likes