Texting driver on cyclist she struck: "I just don't care"

Now the question you have to ask yourself is if this comment actually caused the obligatory debate?

1 Like

i believe you missed @rocketpjā€™s sarcasm.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a little something I knocked up last week.

1 Like

ā€œI donā€™t agree that people texting and driving could hit a cyclist.ā€

My head asplode at this. YOU JUST DID IT.

6 Likes

No I didnā€™t. It just needed to be said.

1 Like

Not at all, That cyclist stuck and damaged her car. Basically he was jealous and wanted to make her look bad. (/s)

2 Likes

Is there something about Australian women that they hate those they perceive as being less worthy than themselves, or do they just get the headlines ?

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/08/30/777271/worlds-richest-woman-poor-drunks/

2 Likes

Self driving cars canā€™t get here soon enough. Being in control of several tons of metal and glass zooming around at high speeds is simply too much responsibility for many people. Weā€™ve engineered our roads in a way that alleviates drivers of some of the dangers theyā€™re creating but in the process weā€™ve made all other modes of transportation difficult.

The only good thing about texting and driving Iā€™ve observed is that most people who do it tend to drive slower than average. So while theyā€™re weaving from lane to lane and on to the shoulder, at least itā€™s often at a speed that gives others the ability to react. Of course thatā€™s only true if youā€™re in another car. If youā€™re on a bike or on foot, the unobservant texter is just as bad at 35km/h as they are at 100km/h.

6 Likes

Maybe they take Ben Stein a lot more seriously than most of us here in the U.S. do.

1 Like

Holy shit, she barely got a slap on the wrist for it.

According to Mr Hockley, he was nearing the end of the Boudicca Sportive 100-mile ride when a car came towards him at speed on the wrong side of a narrow country lane. The 29-year-old chef, told the court that he ā€œwas hit on the leg by the wing and on the arm by the wing mirrorā€ and was ā€œknocked into a hedgeā€.

Later than day Miss Way, of Watton Norfolk tweeted: ā€œDefinitely knocked a cyclist off his bike earlier. I have right of way - he doesnā€™t even pay road tax!ā€

A Norwich magistrates convicted her of failing to stop after an accident and failing to report it [ā€¦], but was found not guilty of the more serious charge of driving without due care and attention. [ā€¦] She was fined Ā£300, had to pay Ā£337 in costs

link

Only convicted her of failing to report an accident.

2 Likes

Several tons? Many passenger cars are in the 1 to 1.5 ton range. Sure, SUVs can push that up towards 3 tons, but Iā€™d wager the vast majority of cars on the road are under 4,000 pounds.

Worldā€™s richest and ugliest. Sheā€™s the champ.

I donā€™t know about that. But when it comes to interacting with cyclists and other vulnerable road users, Australian motorists are most aggressive, uncaring and idiotic drivers Iā€™ve ever encountered. I left 10 years ago, never to return, largely due to the general unpleasantness and danger of sharing the road with them. (Australians are by far the worst coffee snobs in the whole world, too).

1 Like

Yes YES YES YES YES Google cars for the win - cannot get here fast enough for me.

1 Like

Eh, if a cyclist gets hit in an intersection as heā€™s running a red light, especially a blind intersection, Iā€™m not going to be shaking my fist at the carā€™s driver.

Clobbering someone on the side of the road because you canā€™t be arsed to watch where youā€™re going for 5 whole minutes, yeah, thatā€™s gets the fist shake.

1 Like

What if I drive the Google car myself but let it do the texting for me?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s called SIRI.

1 Like

The context is sheā€™s a total thoughtless, spoiled, bitch who gives not a shit.

2 Likes

Just for context, I used to be a motorcycle rider who used to have to run red lights in the middle of the night because my moto wouldnā€™t have enough umph/metal to trigger the light change.

Daytime was better, because somebody always happened along to do it for me.

2 Likes

Youā€™ll be pleased to know our glorious leaders have largely solved that problem by engineering gridlock in the cities.

Oh, and bashing people over the head with ā€˜speed killsā€™ propaganda to the point that traffic now stops accelerating 10km/h under the limit.