The "butter is good" study has some serious flaws

And what would be your sources that saturated fats and their derivatives are essential ingredients that the body cannot manufacture by itself? Or get in trace amounts from non-animal sources and be happy with that amount?

The science always goes both ways. Or, rather, the science applies to ALL theories, not selected ones. Just because some studies were flawed does not mean the opposite conclusions are instantly true.

I think the dietary intake/metabolism/physiological response system is much, much more complex than we give it credit for.

To make my own unsupported statement: I think the human metabolic system is so complicated that some people can exist perfectly fine on processed wheat, oils, fats, sugar and alcohols; but that same diet kills others. And still other people can exist perfectly fine on vegetables, fruits and meat, while most people feel absolutely deprived on a diet like that and can’t do it.

With these huge ranges to our omnivoraciousness, oversimplified dietary studies will constantly fall flat, because there are too many physiological adaptations at play. They will have to randomize within cultural & genetic strata in future studies, and try to figure out some way to combine these results into meaningful analysis. My opinion is that long range studies like NHANES are going to prove much more valuable to understanding diet than the randomized, controlled trials that keep coming up inconclusive or with small effects.

1 Like

You forgot beer, scotch and wine. These are the things that make life fine. I don’t care that it’s a trite rhyme. Or that the quality of my rhymes continues to decline.

1 Like

What if you slice it first with a banana crinkle cutter?

Steady on - you’re starting to sound like Professor Elemental.

2 Likes

Nobody is cuttin’ NO BANANAS TODAY goddammit!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.