Bad news: Omega 3s don't confer any significant health benefits; good news: They're mostly harmless

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/10/meta-analysis.html

3 Likes

Cochrane Collaboration concurs: “Pooled trial results did not show a reduction in the risk of total mortality or combined cardiovascular events in those taking additional omega 3 fats (with significant statistical heterogeneity). Sensitivity analysis, retaining only studies at low risk of bias, reduced heterogeneity and again suggested no significant effect of omega 3 fats.”

http://www.cochrane.org/CD003177/VASC_there-is-not-enough-evidence-to-say-that-people-should-stop-taking-rich-sources-of-omega-3-fats-but-further-high-quality-trials-are-needed-to-confirm-the-previously-suggested-protective-effect-of-omega-3-fats-for-those-at-increased-cardiovas

3 Likes

Woohoo! It’s bacondonutcheeseburger time!

17 Likes

I’d have believed it, as well as other problems like diabetes, in any remote area without access to a western sugar diet.

10 Likes

I’m reminded of a recent article that looked at what happened to various proponents of specific longevity lifestyles. No doubt there was some cherry-picking, but none lived to be 80 and most didn’t live to even be 70. Accidents and disease claimed them. Unsurprisingly, it turns out that longevity has more to do with genetics and other forms of “luck”…

Remote areas are probably the most prone to having Western sugar diets, these days. (That is, they rely heavily on imported, shelf-stable, processed food.) I think about the only time that isn’t the case is with hunter-gatherers and remote, incredibly poor people who can’t even afford the cheapest junk food.

15 Likes

Too bad “don’t stuff your craw” and “throw a veggie in now and again” isn’t a sexy enough diet fad.

14 Likes

These days. I was thinking more of peoples who have relatively recently been introduced to high sugar diets.

“It also appears that inequities in the social, cultural, historical, economic and political determinants of health, lack of access to nutritionally adequate food and barriers to proper health care play major roles in the diabetes epidemic in Indigenous populations.”

As you say, most prone to having a poor diet, now.

As a former client of Anishnawbe Health, LaForme is now focused on eating a more nutritious diet and exercising more.

Market that as “Secret Anishnawbe diet for super health!”

6 Likes

For the last 30-40 years, I’ve seen the same pattern again and again with any “superfood / healing supplement / magic bullet” health breakthrough:
• “Why do these (Icelanders, Tibetans, French) live so long and are so healthy? What’s unique in their diet? It’s… (fish! yogurt! wine! green tea!)”
• People buy zillions of pills with a powdered substance that’s one small part of that food product, eat it in breakfast cereals, etc
• Turns out it doesn’t do much on its own and is just a part of a societal pattern of diet and exercise
• 40 GOTO 10

28 Likes

“eat food, not too much, mostly plants”

9 Likes

If I live to be 100, I’ll tell them it’s due to eating a pound of lard every day. :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

Or whisky and twice-poached salmon like Hugh Jingott over on the aluminium thread.

3 Likes

Yes! The only dietary advice guaranteed to be future-proof.

2 Likes

there’s little evidence that omega-3s are helpful for dementia, depression, inflammatory bowel disease, or age-related macular degeneration

I’m confident that Omega-3.1 will fix these bugs.

28 Likes
13 Likes

https://www.scotsman.com/news/gap-in-dental-health-quarter-of-scots-have-lost-12-teeth-1-3999892

5 Likes

I still like fish. Pickled herring. Omnomnomnom.

7 Likes

That’s why you need krill oil. Duh.

3 Likes

Oh man, if I live to be 100 I’m gonna tell them it’s from eating diet marketing executives.

9 Likes

I don’t think the Scottish sweet-tooth is a recent occurrence. (I still have all of mine, including wisdom teeth, but let’s not talk about crowns and fillings.)

3 Likes

I am smoking tobacco right now.

2 Likes