Today in sadness: cut out carbs and red meat'll still kill you

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/05/today-in-sadness-cut-out-carb.html

6 Likes

Eating red meat will kill the cow long before it’ll kill you.

23 Likes

We always seem to come back to Michael Pollan’s advice: Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.

20 Likes

dingit, came in here to say this ^ and p96 beat me to it.

We’ve been trying to replace carbs (even ‘healthy carbs’ with vegetables. Why have your curry over rice? Why not cauliflower bits? Or 3X as much broccoli. Add some spice here n there. Me no miss meat much. But we do eat meat a few times a week.

3 Likes

Everything will kill you, if given the chance…

14 Likes

Junk science bs. The demonization of saturated fats and dietary cholesterol both have long been debunked.

3 Likes

Well something will for sure.

When my mother was starting treatment for glioblastoma, her oncologist said “Look, we’re going to throw everything we have at this so that you can die of something else.” Didn’t work out that way, but the comment stuck with me.

12 Likes

Now that you mention it: not completely on the subject, but I saw this go by earlier today:

When it comes to diets, the researchers have also debunked the notion that bodies burn more body fat while on a high-fat and low-carb ketogenic diet, compared to a higher-carb diet, despite all the hype.

Now I want a bagel.

7 Likes

Fair enough; I should have said “can.”

‘Anything’ and ‘everything’ can kill you, given just the right circumstances & timing… and eventually, ‘something’ will succeed.

12 Likes

Eh, we’ve known for a while that a diet consisting of lots of red meat wasn’t good for you. It’s not like we needed this study to tell us, “eat mostly plants, dummy.”
The alcohol study was also really more of what we already knew - the increase in deaths due to “alcohol related conditions” for those who drank a small amount was pretty much negligible. Especially compared to the deaths by “alcohol related conditions” among those who didn’t drink at all. (Apparently “alcohol related conditions” don’t require you to drink to get them. We might as well say there’s no safe amount to not drink as well.) Drinking a lot causes problems, moderate alcohol intake not so much.

Those aren’t the only problems with red meat, though. And it’s not even necessarily that red meat is bad for you, but that not eating enough plants isn’t good for you.

5 Likes

Everybody is always looking for one weird trick.

9 Likes
2 Likes

4 Likes

6 Likes

I’ve lost twenty pounds this year on the keto diet. It works.

3 Likes

There’s a whole debate right now, because improved treatment of heart conditions means fewer people die from them. But what that means is the cancer death rate has increased. Not because there’s a increase in causes, but because more people are living long enough to die from it. The problem is that when people talk about how they’d like to go, they always say “a sudden heart attack.” So some doctors are asking if we’re doing people favors by preventing heart attacks so they can die of cancer. That strikes me as somewhat perverse, even after having watched multiple family members die of cancer.

8 Likes

Trying to settle on one of these diets is like trying to win the Kobayashi Maru scenario (without the ability to cheat).

I just try to cut the overall calories, reduce red meat consumption (1x week at most), eat more fruit, go veggie for dinner 2x week, and keep the rest fairly balanced and moderate. I drink alcohol very moderately and don’t drink soda or packaged juices anymore (lots of water, though). Combined with exercise it’s all resulted in my cholesterol going down for the first time in years so something’s working.

9 Likes

Ok…so let me get this straight…

Meat, kill you.
Vegtarian diet, kill you.
Alcohol, kill you.
Eggs, kill you.
Milk, kill you.
Coconut oil, kill you.
Trans fats, kill you.
Non trans fats, kill you.
ALL FATS, kill you.
White bread, kill you.
Wheat bread, kill you.
ALL CARBS, kill you.
And even if you find a healthy balanced diet that WON’T kill you…the god damn environment is so fucked up that it is gonna…you guessed it…KILL YOU!

I’m just going to enjoy my cigar with a nice old fashioned while my NY sirloin strip steak cooks on the grill and the sourdough bread toasts to a wonderful golden brown. I will definitely put a fried egg on top, and maybe…MAYBE…I will glance mockingly at a side salad while I eat that perfectly crusted medium rare beef.

13 Likes

Roger That!

3 Likes

Is that called the Kobayashi Menu?

16 Likes