Today in sadness: cut out carbs and red meat'll still kill you

That list looks like something out of the Daily Mail.

5 Likes

I snack on beef jerky, cured meats and nuts when I’m hungry.

For real, no bullshit, please stay away from cured meats as much as possible. Nitrates cause cancer, especially colon cancer.

3 Likes

Heart failure (CHF) is almost as bad a way to go as cancer. CHF has become a much larger proportion of heart disease diagnoses over the past 20 years as acute treatment of both coronary artery disease (clogged plumbing) and sudden cardiac death (electrical problems) have greatly reduced the risk of “dropping dead” from heart disease.

4 Likes

The key to understanding the “debunking” going on here is the word “isocaloric.” The study concludes that, given equal calorie intake and equal calorie output, people don’t lose weight on a low-carb diet compared to other diets.

In their next study, the researchers intend to prove that 2800-2800 equals zero whether calculated in the sunlight or in shade.

The reason people (including several members of my family) lose weight so easily on a keto diet is because the end of carb-induced yo-yoing in cravings and alertness reduces overall hunger over the course of the day and they consume less in total calories.

7 Likes

Yeah, that’s part of the perversity of the question - heart attacks very rarely resulting in the neat, quiet, unexpected death people want.

4 Likes

Or stick to dry cured meats as opposed to nitrate cured meats.

In 1993, Parma ham producers in Italy made a collective decision to remove nitrates from their products and revert to using only salt, as in the old days. For the past 25 years, no nitrates or nitrites have been used in any Prosciutto di Parma. Even without nitrate or nitrite, the Parma ham stays a deep rosy-pink colour. We now know that the colour in Parma ham is totally harmless, a result of the enzyme reactions during the ham’s 18-month ageing process.

7 Likes

News just in:
Probability of death still 1.

5 Likes

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent.

10 Likes

Remember coconut oil? It was a super food!

I dunno, since i was a wee kid i had always heard that it was about the worst plant derived oil you could consume. I have occasionally used coconut oil but very infrequently because i just had a hard time getting used to the idea that it was now super healthy, i’m glad to be vindicated that what i was taught about it was correct… but also as you point out. Everything is killing us so maybe just try to eat well, as healthy as you can, and be happy.

3 Likes

8 Likes

Paraphrase of Neil Gaiman from Death: The High Cost of Living. Plagiarism sucks.

Atkins died at almost 300lbs, but with a phat bank account from shilling his diet.

1 Like

I really should eat more fish. I’ve just discovered the wonders of the pork aisle at the grocery store–occasional buy one get two free sales on racks of ribs, pork chops.

1 Like

In related news:

4 Likes

fuck it - pass the bacon

2 Likes

Two big differences between the Mediterranean diet and typical American diet are 1. portion size; 2. fish.

4 Likes

If Jordaddy really wants to be politically incorrect he should take up smoking and drink at least a bottle of rye every two days. That’ll show those … umm… “neoMarxist postmodernists” what a real man looks like.*

[* at least if they’re invited to attend his public viewing service]

5 Likes

My mother was a psychoanalyst and a fierce intellectual. Her profession and her mental life defined her, and her disease devoured those first, taking the qualities she valued most in herself long before it took her body.

She endured radiation, surgery, and chemotherapy, and when those failed to save her, she eschewed further treatment in favor of palliative care and a chance to die at home. I think she was quietly planning to make an exit on her own terms, but my father prevented that and then the tumor took over and the opportunity was gone. For weeks she drew in on herself while her body shut down- all sharp angles and sallow skin, lost under the sheets. It was an agonizing thing to watch and a terrible way to die.

From that experience, I took a determination to go out in the time, place and manner of my choosing. I’m not so morbid that I’ve planned it out exactly (no matter what this post suggests), but it will involve bringing together the people I love; it will involve good food; it will involve a large quantity of psilocybin mushrooms. I don’t want my last hours to be spent in a room with all the ambiance of a hotel bathroom, filled with the stink of alcohol and disinfectant . I want to be warm and comfortable, tripping balls, and I want a chance to say goodbye.

Until then, I will eat what I enjoy, and I’m not going to goddamn worry about it much. Cheers!

13 Likes

He’s probably trying to cosplay Ron Swanson, but without the full commitment to toxic relationships with an ex, alcohol, way too much beef, and carpentry he’s just falling short.

2 Likes

That picture! Roasted garlic cloves and grilled zucchini atop filet mignon.

A picture saying only two words: "eat: and “me”.

4 Likes