The Dalai Lama Will Not Return to Lead Tibet (He Has Something Better in Mind)

[Permalink]

2 Likes

In the line:

“I don’t know,” he said. “I don’t know.” The Geopolitics of Reincarnation

I think “The Geopolitics of Reincarnation” is meant to be a sub-heading.

Now this is the kind of stuff that I love coming to BB for. What a fascinating read.

9 Likes

It’s gotta be an interesting position, to be deciding how to thwart a totalitarian usurpation of your reincarnated identity.

Could always go the Jesus route: “I’ll be back. You won’t know when, you won’t know where, but it’s going to happen, and when it does, all these people that have been oppressed and terrorized and brutalized and dominated…they’re going to be in charge.”

5 Likes

That is truly awesome cognitive dissonance. With Chinese characteristics!

10 Likes

I think China gets it, actually. By making this choice, the Dalai Lama has effectively martyred both Tibet and Tibetan Buddhism. This epic situation will go down in history, and China will be known as the bad guy. AS IT SHOULD.

14 Likes

This is just perfect.

Perhaps in the next meeting the legislature can repeal the law of gravity to assist their space program.

New Law! Chinese people can fly and shoot laser beams from their eyes!

16 Likes

“It is our policy that we are not being hacked.”

7 Likes

Actually, the office of Dalai Lama was codified in his third incarnation. Sonam Gyatso was given the title “Dalai Lama” by the Mongol lord Altan Khan, and the preceding two figures were retroactively designated the First and Second Dalai Lamas.

1 Like

I do not think Buddhist theology and physics are exactly the same order of being. But clearly somebody here has a rather weak understanding of Samsara.

2 Likes

It is our policy that Buddhism is a lie, which infects and weakens the hearts and minds of the working people.
To that effect we are now in charge, via committee, of the aforementioned unreal metaphysical processes which we henceforth maintain functional control of.

Hmm, buddhism is kinda like the perceptually paradigmatic physics of consciousness.

2 Likes

Why doesn’t he just reincarnate as a future leader of China and fix this shit?

4 Likes

Stop lying,false Dalai Lama!

Those aren’t protesters of the Dalai Lama, they’re just taking extraordinary care to stress the fundamental unreality of illusory form.

6 Likes

I’m definitely not an expert on Buddhism. I do occasionally attend services at a temple in my hometown and was very surprised to learn over time that the Dalai Lama isn’t the wonderful, compassionate and god-like person that most Westerners fantasize him to be. He has banned Shugden worship and ostracized practitioners of that belief. Someone who is truly interested in religious freedom should lead next.

Dalai Lama Responds Angrily To Peaceful Nun

To me, the video doesn’t prove much one way or the other. A 39 second video taken out of context is hard to judge.

3 Likes

I Love The Four Noble Truths and The Noble Eightfold Path…

but Buddhism totally loses me with the past lives and reincarnation hocus pocus

1 Like

While I don’t disagree with you, there is a lot of information about the DL and his stance against Dorje Shugden practice out there.

Considering how badly Christianity has been usurped for political gain by so many in this material life, perhaps this strategy isn’t such a great option after all, hmmm?

You have done some spot on research but there have been some recent developments that I think you should be aware of. His Holiness, the Dalai Lama through intermediaries is in very serious talks for him to visit China which will happen much sooner than latter. The new leadership in China seems to be much more open concerning Tibet. It is very likely that His Holiness will return to Tibet before he concludes this lifetime. I believe that China realizes the tremendous good will they would generate with ending this situation with Tibet. While some Tibetan’s disagree, His Holiness is not interested in any way whatsoever for Tibet to be independent. He fully understands that Tibet at this point in time is part of China. This point is something the Chinese have to be considering. China also realizes that they can generate a lot of tourists dollars too. My own Tibetan teacher has two monasteries in Tibet which he just returned from visiting and he reports that the problems he use to run into in the past are no longer relevant. He is now even teaching in Beijing openly and said that the Chinese people are extremely interested in Tibetan Buddhism. I also wouldn’t rule out a 15th Dalai Lama. His Holiness, did not rule the notion out completely and some people close to the situation I have spoke to concur that it is too early to draw that conclusion.