The Moto 360 looks like the best smartwatch yet

I seem to post this on many ‘smart watch’ posts… can I have a ‘sorta-smart’ watch, please? Just enough smarts to let me download design/art for background and graphics for hour, minute (maybe second?), to maintain 3 sets - backup, current, and just-downloaded. I don’t care to receive notifications or messages on my watch, I just want to be able to “skin” it.

It may be clever, but dear god it’s not pretty…

remove the strap and give it a pocketwatch case, and I’ll consider it.

Of course, a pocket-smart-watch kinda defeats the purpose of a smart watch… If you’re pulling your smartwatch out of your pocket to check your notifications, you can just pull your phone out of your pocket either.

I was one of those people who first saw the Pebble and thought “Man, how lazy do you have to be that you can’t pull your phone out of your pocket to read your text messages?” But then I got one as a present, and I have to say, I am totally hooked on it. At first, I just thought it was great that I could put my phone on silent when I was at the movies, but still be notified if the babysitter sent a text or called and not have to pull out my phone and distract other moviegoers. But now I’m totally hooked on it, and I am really lusting after a Moto 360 too. But I imagine it’s going to be too rich for my blood - one of the nice things about the Pebble is that it was (relatively) cheap.

Ad- pulcritudinem tria requiruntur integritas, consonantia,
claritas.

I can’t deal with watches in general (unnecessary sensory input where I definitely don’t need it) so I salivate pointlessly over smartwatches only to read about what this one or that actually does and then suddenly get bored and grateful I’m not spending the money.

I really like the look of this one. I love that it’s round. I think they made the right compromise on the location and shape of the driver.

And, hey, it looks like it might be light and small enough to not drive me crazy.

In short, I hate it because I might want to buy it.

ETA: Looking small and like it might not drive me crazy is subjective. The other smartwatches look very constrictive. Death grip on your wrist sort of thing.

That thing looks surprisingly not awful. But that’s coming from someone who proudly wore one of those when it came out in 1998:

Lolwut swatch internet time. In my defense, I was 16.

But actually buying a motorola/android smart watch? Yeah, that will work great. Good luck. I still think Her-like tiny wireless earbuds are a better future tech idea than either smart watch or smart glasses for not-taking-my-phone-out notifications and interactions.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.