The One True Cause of all disease (All 52 of them)

Take two peat moss and call me in the morning.

3 Likes

If you’d specified WHICH kind of moss you’d be living on borrowed time. THEY don’t want the sheeple to know!

1 Like

Recursive disease: The one true cause of all disease is “false beliefs and fears”.

I’m a chiropractor and this reminds me of a story. Had a 50 something patient who I’d never met, came in with severe calf pain with no real trauma. The week before he’d been travelling by train, so had likely been immobile for some time. The calf was hot and tender, seemed a little puffy throughout the ankle. I told him it was most likely a strain, or possibly a slight tear, but given the amount of pain, there was a small chance there was a DVT, and explained what that was. If it was a DVT, it could be serious, even fatal, so I wanted him to go to the nearby ER and get checked out. I’ve seen a couple, and diagnosis without a doppler is difficult, but this is kind of what those looked like. He said he would, I called him later. He’d gone home and called a neighbor who was an MD, he didn’t say what kind. The MD had prescribed him oxycontin, which helped a lot with his problem. He said the doctor had diagnosed his problem was “inflammation” and he felt that was a better explanation than what I had said.

1 Like

Sounds too gooey and messy… Keep it clean – just 500 J deposited by radiation to the head should cause interphase death of the cells (7500 J to the whole-body).

How do we know that there isnt still some neurons firing until the brain goes hypoxic? Even so, the damaged parts of the brain (wherever they may be) would be hypoxic, no?

Actually,Osteopaths are referred to properly as ‘physicians’, and they will adjust your spine (using entirely different techniques than a chiropractor - they seem to roundly despise chiros), as well as an entire range of treatment modalities, right up to and including surgical interventions.

That said, no, getting your bones all lined up won’t fix a hangnail…but it’s rather amazing sometimes what effects can be achieved, just by making a single muscle relax, or relieving a single impinged nerve. You could have a pain in your foot that gets cleared up when the vertebrae in your lower back are straightened out, so that your hips and legs aren’t trying to compensate structurally to the point where you end up with sore feet. Just because you may not consciously perceive a subtle misalignment or postural fault, doesn’t mean it isn’t happening or that it has no noticeable consequences - really, no different than failing to perceive a cancer you didn’t know you had, or any other disease.

I don’t want to oversimplify, or pimp for any one school of thought - but…knee-bone connected to the thigh-bone. It all works together, when you’re well, and not when you are unwell. Do you really care whether it’s a non-invasive technique or some drug that gets it done, as long AS it gets done without doing you more harm than good?

The first chiropractor was likely a student of the first osteopath. We branched out, and went our own ways, but over the decades have cross-pollinated and there’s almost no osteopath technique that many chiros don’t also do, and also almost no chiro technique that some osteopaths don’t do. By law, unless licensed as both, no chiro can say he does osteopathic technique, and vice versa. Not all osteopaths do manipulation, some never learned it, some never practiced it. Some learned it, but never used it during their clinical rotations. Some have had it only as a brief elective. Depends when they went to school and where. Some osteopaths despise chiros, some work with us. I worked alongside one in the past, he rarely did manipulation, was largely an internist. We got along fine, he tried to hire me away from another job a few years after I left that practice. There’s one who works in the practice group I’m in, I can ask if he despises us all. A friend’s who’s a chiro married one, so at some point at least could get along well.

I agree in general with how you describe the interconnections of the body.

LOL - yes, apparently at least two of them do get along at times.

I was utterly shocked to find that there are osteopathic schools that never put their students through any kind of residency - they never apparently even see patients until after they graduate! Fortunately, I go to an on-campus clinic where that kind of incredibly flaky stuff definitely does not happen, and I play the part of the practice patient now and then. Which is cool. I’m happy to be part of their learning experience.

would imagine there are better and worse schools of each type. As is, I’ve got a whole team rounded up, in various specialty practices from different types of schools. But, I’ve had to deal with a lot and have learned to be decidedly proactive (as well as pragmatic).

What see amongst patient groups I’m familiar with, are two kinds of people who will fall for the ‘one cause of all disease’ crap, and a host of other con jobs. One is people who’ve always been well before and are still trusting and ignorant enough to fall for that kind of thing. ‘The worried well’ are an easy sell, since they have no real way to measure the results they didn’t need in the first place. They’re free to cling to whatever they may choose to believe. The other is people who’ve gotten no help from the providers they have seen (sometimes many), and have become so desperate they will try anything (and consequently, fall for just about anything.)

I even know of one case where a dentist with a marketing degree was getting patients to blackmarket medications the dentist had no authority to prescribe at all. for conditions the dentist was not licensed or qualified to treat! The number who fell for the ‘Dr.’ title alone was amazing. In another case, a company well-known for its criticisms of ‘bad science’ was found to have its own board populated with more questionable characters and people with conflicts of interests than even would have thought possible.

Some of those from the situation above were peripherally involved in yet another situation where I participated in a GAO investigation that revealed even large professional associations participating in faked peer reviews and insurance industry driven attempts to deny both illnesses and the care required, and had directly engaged a large federal agency in their agenda (which ultimately lost its funding and any authority over that particular issue). Their method of further gaming the situation also involved offering CME courses where they could continuously promote their nonsense. So obviously, it’s not just patients who get caught up in the crazy!

It’s kind of hard to argue against the con games, when so many otherwise ‘legit’ practitioners have failed them so badly, and sometimes outright abused them. It’s just a damned shame, whichever way it happens. But, what can you do? If they won’t listen, they’re doomed to finding out the hard way…hopefully, not the permanent way!

1 Like

That list is a treasure trove of potential names for my next rock band.

1 Like

We had practice patients at my school, some who had the condition that we had to diagnose, some who mocked it. It’s was very helpful and we were grateful. There are definitely better and worse schools in the chiro world, and there is a struggle to bring some into the 20th century. No, I didn’t miscount, we’ll hopefully work on the 21 century once we get them into the 20th century. I think the osteopathic schools, as far as I know, are fine for teaching MD equivalent skills, I just know that there is a variety of emphasis on manipulation programs, some of which start teach manip skills as soon as you enter the program, and graduate people with excellent skill.

The worried well are often fleeced. I have as one of my creeds “You don’t want to devise an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem”. If they are concerned about a region, but don’t really have pain, signs or symptoms indicating it’s a problem, I show them exercises and how to work on strengthening the area, and tell them I’ll be here if they ever do have problems. The medically unhelped patient is a varied group, some of who look exactly like the worried well. Some have something undiagnosed or have been misdiagnosed, some had interpersonal issues with MD’s (which, while I was never there, often sound like the MD’s issues more than the patients), some have had an unexpected reaction or more pain following medical intervention and are leery of getting medical help again. If there are people I don’t think I can help, I tell them that, if they’re better served by seeing an MD for the problem, I tell them that, even if they don’t think that’s the right answer. I know enough local MD’s for referral purposes that I can try to get them to someone kind and competent.
Money has been the root of a lot of evil in healthcare, sadly. A friend, not a doctor, was doing healthcare screenings at health fairs, including blood pressure readings, for a large insurance company. She was horrified when she found out later they used that data so they could figure out which people had hypertension so they could avoid insuring them…

IIRC, a character in Robert Heinlein’s “Friday” said that all deaths can ultimately be attributed to heart failure. I’m gonna have to reread that book soon.

The relevant quote I’ve heard attributed to Martin Marty is: Life is a sexually-transmitted disease with a terminal prognosis.

1 Like

“You don’t want to devise an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem”. LOL, but it’s so darned profitable!

Certainly, there are plenty of honest mistakes to go around. But yes, a tremendous and powerful amount of efforts has gone into under-insuring or not insuring patients who actual need the care. From what I’ve seen, the disabilityi nsurance offered by many employers is one of the worst. Because, nobody reads the fine print until they actually need to make a claim. And only then do they find out how poorly (or not) covered they were all along. And I understand why many practitioners hate to deal with them - the paperwork alone is enough to make many simply refuse to deal with them. Part of my education on that began with a surgeon who was caught in that bind herself, and became a loud advocate for change. She lost everything and was made homeless. And although she finally got her claim through, she died not long after that. So, that’s another part of it. People will struggle unbelievably to keep working, because they (rightfully) fear the consequences of going on leave. And there is another near-perfect recipe for a mark. If their regular doctor can’t ‘fix’ this, then maybe somebody else can.

And yes - plenty of physicians visiting their own issues on their patients. The worst of it I hear is almost always patients with chronic pain or fatigue - which of course they can’t see, and won’t do any labs to prove or disprove. It’s much easier to simply accuse those people of being crazy or being drug seekers. I’ve encountered that myself, a few times. And that, pain in particular, will leave most anyone fairly incapable of exercising reasonable thought and action. It makes them desperate, and BAM! A new mark is created for the next ‘ingenious solution’ to come along. The right solution, of course, would be to become a strong self-advocate, and fire those who fail us - because there are also amazing and talented people out there, too. But most folks get intimidated by tradition, habit, or insurance companies being bullies - and then…you get a mark.

Most of these types of things are NOT going to get fixed by Obamacare, even if it works better than I expect it to. Because that does not deal with any of these types of problems. I’m not suggesting that many people don’t desperately need basic coverage - but having coverage alone won’t fix attitudes, prejudices, or the needs of someone who becomes too ill to work. I don’t particularly blame the practitioners for all this; I often wonder how in heck they can stand it!

But… But… I WANT a disintegrator!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.