The real Web TV: Chromecast, Apple or Roku?

Google, I think you meant. ANd I asked on that, I was told that was for new users for Netflix only.

Still prolly a good value, unless you have a Roku box already :smiley:

Love my Roku. Iā€™ve had every generation, and this latest iteration is fantastic. Living in a small place with other people, the headphone jack on the remote is a lifesaver.

1 Like

Thatā€™s really strange. I had some problems with a well out of warranty Roku, and customer service was willing to spend hours on the phone with me to resolve. Just gave my old first gen model to my mom, still in perfect working condition.

1 Like

Most what Iā€™m looking to share of my laptop is picture and websites so it not much of a problem. As far as media goes Iā€™m mainly using Netflix and Youtube while traveling so thatā€™s not a problem for me.

Sounds good, then. Except hotels, etc. often have some sort of interstitial webpage and/or agreement page to get through before you have wifi access. Can the Chromecast work through that?

Now the ISP has given us a WiFi router which we use instead

Why did you stop using the Airport base station if it was still working? Also, which year was the base station made? Iā€™m always curious to hear about good experiences with those things because Iā€™ve witnessed and heard so much bad stuff.

Admittedly, Iā€™ve never bought one for myself or any clients (nor would I unless their reputation and cost gets better), but Iā€™ve helped others with them after they had lots of issues.

Iā€™ve found that they have trouble with mixed environments (PC, Mac, smart phones, etc.) connecting to them from multiple sources at once. Maybe if just a couple of Macs connect to them, theyā€™re fine, I dunno.

It seems the Airport router was smart enough to switch channels when there was interference

That often doesnā€™t go as expected:

http://www.dashvue.com/2011/11/something-wrong-with-apples-auto-channel-selection-algorithm-on-airport-extreme/

the cheap ISP WiFi router

Well, I wasnā€™t saying all cheap routers are better. Which one do you have? Which model? Iā€™m also wondering if you ended up with a faulty router and should replace it or get rid of it entirely and get a better brand/model.

As far as choosing the best channel I prefer to do that manually, Iā€™ve found this website to work very well. Even as good or better than many standalone apps Iā€™ve tried: (Caveat: It runs with Java)

https://tools.meraki.com/stumbler

After analyzing, Iā€™ve made connections for others and myself tremendously faster and more stable.

Thereā€™s this too, if you donā€™t like/have Java, but Iā€™ve found it can be a more cluttered interface:

Is that Googleā€™s doing? My email just said

Thank you for your recent Chromecast purchase. Your purchase has qualified you to receive a 3-month Netflix gift code. Your code will be emailed to you 5 days after your Chromecast ships.

That sure sounds like itā€™s not just for new customers.

Oh, you bought it from amazon and they gave it to you? Googleā€™s play store had the same deal, but there was an asterisk that said it was for new customers only. THe promotion on the play store ended on 7/25, so the page has been updated.

Yes, I bought it from Amazon. I had credit to spend. Looks like i made the right choice!

It was a new WiFi era. Originally we used our own Alcatel Speed Touch 510 router, which was about a decade old, with a round Airport Extreme which made our printer wireless and our house wireless. But now routers come wireless, and printers come wireless. I opted for simplicity, which is usually a good idea. Plus, the less IT I have to do, the less interested I am in doing it.

But as I recently got a new iMac and moved the old one to the living room, I donā€™t need reminding things work perfectly well until they donā€™t. Migrating the software and data to new hardware has meant lots of hassles with things that had worked flawlessly originally. The wireless keyboard in the living room keeps disconnecting despite regular resets. And my new iMac keeps switching to US keyboard layout. Sometimes my wifeā€™s MacBook Air canā€™t see the WiFi, while other devices work flawlessly for years.

We now use a Thompson TG585 v7

If we have trouble again, Iā€™ll use iStumbler and try to set the channel manually and see how that goes. Itā€™s good even to be able to see BTā€™s two commercial hotspots are using channel 11.Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Iā€™ll let you know next week.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.