The Walking Dead, Season 4, Episode 4, 'Indifferent': review

[Permalink]

This whole season has been the ā€œThe Carol Show - featuring Farmer Rickā€. Carol has been the de-facto leader of the group, in as far as the children are concerned. I guess you could break it down like this, Rick, was the ā€œindifferentā€ father figure worried more about bringing home the bacon (literally) , Carol has been the mother, who teaches and nurtures the kids - with knives and killing tips, Herschel of course wise sage Grandpa, and Daryl, the cool uncle, Glenn and Maggie fit in there somewhere but are mostly used as guard dogs. Now that the pigs are gone Rick needs to confront who he really is; I donā€™t think the killing/burning that Carol did really turned him against her, but her influence on the children especially Rickā€™s children; Rick is pretty much a selfish bastard, the only reason he is even in the group is that is a way to protect his family, and I do believe that if somehow, the Governor took his kids especially Carl, he would sacrifice every one of them to get them back. So back to Carol, she is what Rick would be without his kids, and I think that scares him, also now that Rickā€™s Farm has failed, he needs a new job and that Job is the Rickocracy. So I really liked this episode and all hail Rick.

Iā€™m done with Rick. Selfish jerk. Everyone else gets to go a little off-kilter at some point, but the character whoā€™s keeping her cool and taking on the tough decisions he abdicated? Oh, no, sheā€™s gotta go. He knows a threat to his authority when he sees one.

1 Like

Totally agree with you.

I think sheā€™s a lot tougher than he would be, and THATā€™S what scares him.

So I recently heard about a Walking Dead spin-off, I wonder if this is how it begins, with Carol taking the leading role, by all accounts from what I have read, Walking Dead has a huge female demographic, much more than similar genre shows, so I wonder if there is enough ā€œloveā€ for Carol to carry her own show. I would watch it and I am a male type person. I have been wondering what else is going on in the rest of the world, I am getting a bit bored of Georgia.

Now that would be interesting. Iā€™d definitely check it out (so thatā€™s n=2 at this point).

I think scenarios like Walking Dead make it impossible to keep up the usual charade of ā€œsugar and spice and everything niceā€. All hands need to be on deck, which means the female characters get to play heroes too instead of just eye candy and/or victims. And NO HIGH HEELS. Whatā€™s not to love?

Good point.

As a northerner, I wonder if freezing temperatures in winter might have some sort of effect on zombies? Could be an interesting compare-and-contrast.

1 Like

I think the show needs an external threat or some greater goal they need to achieve, to keep me interested (the horde looks promising). Bickering and tension within the group as the only mcguffin, just makes it a reality show.

I agree, this seasons ā€œbig badā€ is the zombie-flu, and I think that will be soon overcome, I am wondering if the Governor is some how behind this, in at least he may be dumping flu-zombies in their water supply.I am pretty sure because of this they will have to move out of Chateau du Prison, probably will have something dealing with the radio transmission directing them to a ā€œsafe havenā€. I think they have spent to much screen time at the prison it is getting a bit stale as a story vehicle.

One more thing, who is feeding the fence zombies? I am pretty sure it is that little girl, because apparently zombies are a good replacement for ponies. I used to feed a raccoon cheetos when I was a kid, it also brought friends that eventually decided the crawl space under our house was a good place to hang out, and my folks were not pleased with the damage and pest control bills.

Ha ha Zombie-cicles, the only problem with heading North are all of the large cities, Me personally I would head West towards more remote locales like West Texas or a bit more north to the plains states. I have been wondering why they havenā€™t headed East for the coast, I am pretty sure zombies donā€™t swim very well and they could get a large boat or find some of those Barrier Islands near South Carolina. I know hurricane season would suck, but you could deal with that.

2 Likes

I knew Rick was planning on exiling Carol in the opening sceneā€¦ heā€™s packing gas, supplies and itā€™s superimposed with the images of Carol killing Karen and David. As the episode progressed though, I thought I was wrong, but then when he tells her to take the gas, I realized that I had actually gotten it right.

I like to think that he was still making up his mind, and that if Carol had showed remorse, she could have stayedā€¦ but all she got was the titled Indifferenceā€¦ she did what she felt she had to do for the group, even if it was wrong. To do the safe thing.

We all know what Rick thinks about that philosophy. Shane had it, and although he didnā€™t kill him FOR that, it certainly deteriorated their relationship. And Carl gained it briefly too, when he killed that disarmed other-camper just because he was a threat. Carl, he had to take in hand, because it was his son. Carolā€¦ she was determined to make the ā€˜hard choicesā€™.

And making the hard choices is often a selfish act, too. Not wholly, because you may well be doing it for the rest of the group, too, but primarily youā€™re doing it for yourself, because you donā€™t feel safe. Because who knows what the next ā€˜hard choiceā€™ will be? Take a man in, heā€™s a mouth to feedā€¦ kill him and take his stuff, you keep your group supplied for a little longer. This aspect is subtly highlighted when Carol suggested sheā€™d take the kids and goā€¦ that wasnā€™t what was about what was best for them, obviously it wouldnā€™t be safer for them to be out on the run, but she was thinking about herself.

No matter how you twist it, this was a bad decision on Rickā€™s part. What about Daryl? I believe he is going to be pissed. What about the committee? Rick can make decisions without the rest of them knowing? Yes, Tyreese might want to kill her, but the rest might have understood. Rick is just as guilty; he made almost the same mistake as Carol. We are not talking about a liberal fantasy world where pink bunnies and Skittles are all about. We are talking about a world full of destruction, death, pain, and suffering. Carol is a great leader that made a major mistake. With that said, what comes next? I believe Rick will see Carol on the drive back and she will be in trouble.

1 Like

Getting to the ocean (and over it to different land) makes sense to me. West Texas, on the other hand, where drought is a constant, would not be a heading-point for me. Walkers donā€™t need water, but humans do.

In the show Revolution, for contrast, they donā€™t have the use of cars and motorcycles and the dangers from various roving gangs is omnipresent and yet the characters manage to travel pretty far distances. There doesnā€™t seem to be any long-term strategy discussed between the characters, EVER, on Walking Dead.

Thereā€™s no ā€œjourneyā€ on Walking Dead anymore. They need to have a goalā€¦not just live through the day.

spoilers ahead: i really lost interest with this show (but i canā€™t help but continue watching it) during the beginning of season 3ā€¦which is right about the time i started reading the comics (coincidence?). the differences in the governors story are pretty different. i mean, in the book andrea and the governor never even meet and andrea lives well into the next situation. and the fact that daryl and merle arenā€™t even in the comics leads me to believe that amc is using the name ā€œwalking deadā€ for their own means.

however, back to the show, iā€™m not surprised carol is gone. i mean, she did off herself in the comic by throwing herself at a zombie. she was damaged from the beginning. anyway, iā€™ve been waiting for the cannibals to show up and eat daleā€™s legs but alas, dale has been replaced with hershel and there have yet to be any cannibals in the show. i wonder if there will be a tiger!

it really does seem like amc is trying to stray as far away from the source material for their own purposes. i say ā€œpffffltā€¦whateverā€.

i think itā€™s time to put the show out of itā€™s walking misery.

the issue with islands is that, yes, zombies donā€™t swim well, but they also donā€™t have to breath. havenā€™t you seen Land of the Dead?

Those of us who read the comics know that there may very well be an important new goal (and strategy) revealed in this season.

The reason I think places like desert type terrains are, it seems they are always getting surprised by zombies in bushes, and heavy forested areas, get to a place where you have a clear line of site. Itā€™s funny you mention Revolution, I was thinking the same thing, they seem to cover 1000ā€™s of miles in what seems just days. That show pisses me off a bit, but this season is a tad better.

Good pointā€¦didnā€™t think of that!

Yeah, you probably right on both points. Although to me it was implied the little girl fed the zombies, maybe I just read to much into it.

My initial thought for this seasons story arc was that they had overcome the survival part and now it would focus on something like the struggles of building a community/society. But perhaps itā€™s more interesting if they never ā€œlevel up to the next tierā€.

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.