False color, true images

[Read the post]

I.e. home surveillance cameras are not good enough.

2 Likes

This is exactly how I take pictures of my catā€¦

1 Like

Do NOT take false color images of cats - some things should not be revealed.

10 Likes

Who decides which way up the images should be shown? If you turn these upside down, the heart shape looks more like itā€™s part of the three-leaf clover (with the third leaf stretching over the top). Would we have been so ready to see a heart if the image was oriented differently?

Whoever decided that the northern hemisphere is upā€¦
Edit to clarify that up is ā€œnorthā€ of the orbital plane of the solar system.

3 Likes

So, normal to the ecliptic on the side that includes Earthā€™s north pole, then?

1 Like

Yep, right hand rule to the orbital direction and the majority of planetary rotations.

Ah this old chestnut,

Our eyes catch such a narrow band of the spectrum, they are not really reliable instruments at all. If anything the spectrometer on the craft gives quantitive data that is more ā€˜realā€™ than we see.

The reason scientists donā€™t normally bother with the idea of a true colour image is because vision is subjective. It isnā€™t useful to us.

1 Like

I donā€™t want to be human! I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! And I want to - I want to smell dark matter!

Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I canā€™t even express these things properly because I have to - I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language! But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws! And feel the wind of a supernova flowing over me!

Iā€™m a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But Iā€™m trapped in this absurd body!

5 Likes

Gah, thanks, now Pluto is also a portal to existential dread! Semiotically appropriate, I supposeā€¦

Raw radiometric data is ā€œrealerā€ than what we see in the sense that itā€™s closer to whatā€™s actually ā€œout thereā€ than any specific set of colorimetric data, whether converted to imagery or not. Itā€™s more complete, more thorough.

Subjectively though, those maroons are beautiful, arenā€™t they? Hadean scabs.

Thatā€™s what transhumanism is for.

You are not alone. Letā€™s go to the lab.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.