Twitter to allow advertisers to target your browsing history, email addresses; here's how to opt out

Twitter announced today that it will now allow advertisers to tailor ads for you based on your activities off of Twitter (for instance, browsing third-party websites), and will also use personal information like email addresses to target the ads you see. “Users won’t see more ads on Twitter, but they may see better ones,” wrote… READ THE REST

I’d say that Twitter(like facebook before them) just made a very compelling case for being among the lucky winners of the ‘hosts file opt-out’. Once a company decides that they are going to take advantage of all those little buttons, sprinkled across the internet and phoning home to the mothership whenever you load a bugged page, you just can’t trust them, even if you ever could.

Given that Twitter is currently in the ‘we have no monetization strategy’ flailing stage, it seems particularly likely that they’ll do something… ethically disinhibited… if that promises to save them.

Here is the Twitter page that explains how to select DO NOT TRACK in your browsers.

https://support.twitter.com/articles/20169453%20

3 Likes

“Settings” is under the gear icon.

I don’t even use Twitter’s share feature. So I just added platform.twitter.com/widgets/* to AdBlock.

Too bad I actually use Facebook’s like/share, I could just do the same for it. Maybe I’ll give doing that anyways a thought.

For all six Opera users: settings, preferences, advanced tab, security, ask websites not to track me.

What about disabling third-party cookies in your browser?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.