You cannot opt out of Facebook's surveillance network

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/06/you-cannot-opt-out-of-facebook.html

4 Likes

Yes, giant corporations that hide the details of the tracking they use to market targeted advertising to you are a bad thing. :thinking:

13 Likes

2ph93x

23 Likes

Yet it’s fine for Boingboing to insist on ads and trackers?

10 Likes

This was him demonstrating his “eat only what I personally kill” phase on-stage at TechCrunch Disrupt. Obviously no-one was quite prepared for the killing and eating to be simultaneous (or to involve other humans quite so subjectively) but I figure that’s why he’s in charge.

19 Likes

Well, that would explain the missing staff members, and the tape over the cameras on the computers… One wonders what the ads targeted at Zuck look like… IPO options? Human trafficking futures? Undesirables removal services?

4 Likes

Soon the headlines will read, ‘Companies wasting energy collection data, bankruptcy looms’.

With each news story it feels like companies that stopped innovating, just spend all their time collecting data. Is it really paying off still?

8 Likes

The Zucker-burg has no need to “eat.”

I can tell when the “wool” is being pulled over my “eyes.”

3 Likes

25 Likes

You cannot opt out of Facebook’s surveillance network, at least not on Boing Boing any more. All hail our new overlord!

(I wonder, what exactly does it feel like to have your soul eaten? Anybody around the BoingBoing Team have any anecdotes, seeing as how its all so fresh in your memories and all?)

6 Likes

Some suggestions:

1. use firefox
  2. use the facebook container plugin
  3. enable the setting to block content trackers

Problem solved. Well, sort of. At least with this, facebook can only track you when you are on their site. So, that leads to another suggestion:

1. stop using facebook, instagram, etc.

I do 1, 2, and 3. I use facebook because all my family is on it.

5 Likes

Luckily, BB has provided a good solution to remove that annoying footer at the bottom if you’re using an ad blocker. It kills sticky headers AND footers.

4 Likes

I was going to say…isn’t BB complicit?

2 Likes

Unless i’m thinking of something else firefox has had container tabs for a while now.

1 Like

FB is insincere and shameless about exploiting your privacy and have proven time and again that they cannot be trusted.

3 Likes

I use ublock origin and have facebook.com and fb.com on my black list. I can’t use facebook, (perhaps a blessing), but they don’t get any info about my web activity because their tentacles don’t get loaded.

2 Likes

Look I hate Zuckerberg as much as the next privacy advocate but if I even try to be fair to the man for a second and just look at the picture…

I can’t remember the last man I’ve ever seen a picture of that had such a vacant stare and soulless eyes. As someone who used to be suicidally depressed for most of my life, but thankfully isn’t anymore, his eyes look very familiar. He might have all the money in the world but he has the eyes of a man that doesn’t care about tomorrow, or anything. He looks like a soulless shell.

3 Likes

tumblr_mu7l8s3exX1sjdywro1_400

1 Like

Also: use Firefox NoScript add-on and block anything that is even vaguely facebook-ish.

5 Likes

Blocking facebook’s tentacles on your own devices isn’t the answer, any more than you can defeat the US government by living off solar power in the woods. Facebook is an “everyone” problem – it’s not fixed until it’s fixed globally.

Sure, it’s nice for me not to use Facebook, and it would be nicer still if sites like BingBong didn’t graft it onto themselves like Reavers from Firefly, but that’s not much consolation when Facebook is electing Turmp, and atomizing society into a bunch of dead-eyed husks who exist only as low-budget banner ads for themselves, and things of that ilk.

10 Likes