You cannot opt out of Facebook's surveillance network

They have, for at least a few years. And IMO they are not easy to use unless you are a power user of firefox, or install a plugin (like Facebook container) that uses them automatically.

2 Likes

Liked, especially for this reference.

On the one hand, I get bb’s stance; bills must be paid. We are still existing in a capitalist society, even if it’s “late stage,” and I would like bb to stick around as long as it can.

That said, it’s still hard to reconcile the fact that it’s intertwined with Facebook at all. It smacks of, “do as I say, not as I do” hypocrisy.

It’s starting to feel like the Mark of the Beast we were warned about is having a Facebook account.

Got an email the other day from someone in my work domain sent to my work address. I forwarded it from my work account to my Gmail account (take too long to explain why) and, later when I checked Gmail, the image next to the email was my FB profile photo. WTF? Never uploaded the photo to Google or to any workplace servers. WTF?

1 Like

Just stopping the use of it doesn’t seem to work, according to recent reports that say certain apps phone home to FB as soon as they are activated or run, even if you don’t have a FB account. This is not on and should be the subject of legislation in all countries.

2 Likes

I could be wrong about this, but, assuming you’re a Mac user, I believe Facebook might have the ability to update your iCloud profile photo, and Google has the ability to pull it out of there.

Quite naturally, the only form of data portability the tech giants have gotten around to so far is the creepy stuff.

2 Likes

Good to know, but I am not a Mac user.

You can also add a hosts file entry for connect.facebook.net to point at 127.0.0.1. This foils most of their trickery.

I’ve got their entire domain blackholed. (facebook.net and facebook.com).

I think you’ll want fbcdn.net in there, as well.

1 Like

Do I still get to redeem favorites to delete the content of other users ?

I’ve seem to have lost that button on my user interface.

$ nslookup fbcdn.net
Server:     x.x.x.x
Address:    x.x.x.x

Name:   fbcdn.net
Address: 127.0.0.1

Woops. Forgot to mention that one. My block list is long.

8<------------------------------------<snip>----------------------------------->8
zone "eyeviewads.com" { type master; file "/usr/local/etc/namedb/master/blackhole.db"; };
zone "facebook.com" { type master; file "/usr/local/etc/namedb/master/blackhole.db"; };
zone "facebook.net" { type master; file "/usr/local/etc/namedb/master/blackhole.db"; };
zone "fallingfalcon.com" { type master; file "/usr/local/etc/namedb/master/blackhole.db"; };
zone "fbcdn.net" { type master; file "/usr/local/etc/namedb/master/blackhole.db"; };
zone "flurry.com" { type master; file "/usr/local/etc/namedb/master/blackhole.db"; };
zone "fqtag.com" { type master; file "/usr/local/etc/namedb/master/blackhole.db"; };
zone "fwmrm.net" { type master; file "/usr/local/etc/namedb/master/blackhole.db"; };
zone "getsocial.io" { type master; file "/usr/local/etc/namedb/master/blackhole.db"; };
zone "go-mpulse.net" { type master; file "/usr/local/etc/namedb/master/blackhole.db"; };
zone "go-mpulse.net.cdn.cloudflare.net" { type master; file "/usr/local/etc/namedb/master/blackhole.db"; };
zone "googleadservices.com" { type master; file "/usr/local/etc/namedb/master/blackhole.db"; };
zone "google-analytics.com" { type master; file "/usr/local/etc/namedb/master/blackhole.db"; };
8<------------------------------------<snip>----------------------------------->8

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.