Even after you turn off Facebook location tracking, Facebook tracks your location

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/19/compulsive-liars.html

3 Likes

You forgot to mention that it offers these privacy protections In the most deliberately difficult, ass backward, confusing, and user-hostile interface their programmers are able to come up with.

14 Likes

The FaceBook data troll monster is eating all it can.

7 Likes

The Facebook app is spyware, end of story. Delete it from your phone and, preferably, delete your entire FB account.

14 Likes

This is a large part of why I only have Facebook on the laptop and have taken it off of all my mobile devices. Because I can’t quit it altogether, too many contacts there, but I can limit myself to just once per day. Most days.

5 Likes

I think it’s Google Maps that asks me occasionally to write reviews, but I don’t work for free. It happens all the time at the supermarket, but the other day I walked past a Taco Bell and Google asked me how my experience was.

I only find it amusing, but I might feel differently if I was a democrat in a fascist country.

4 Likes

Imagine opening Facebook during a visit to an abortion clinic in order to communicate with friends for support in a difficult decision, and instead, seeing an ad campaign for cute baby clothes created by anyone who wants to target women making this difficult decision.

Please don’t give the anti’s any ideas! They’re devious enough without any help.

7 Likes

7 Likes

Why isn’t she using a VPN?

No need, here; I’ve never done social media from any mobile device, and I never will.
(To think, my pals used to say I was being ‘paranoid.’)

5 Likes

I visited my brother up near Eureka CA for Thanksgiving. Now Facebook thinks I live there and shows me ads from there. Idiots.

3 Likes

#deletefacebook

5 Likes

Even if FB isn’t directly tracking your location b/c you went into the BS settings and “told them not to”, they can certainly obtain it real time from a 3rd party source. Yep, you guessed it. I’m talking about Verizon. Yep, you guessed it, if you don’t subscribe to Verizon, then I’m talking about whatever shit service you do subscribe to. Normally I’d say we should file a FOIA request to obtain a copy of the data sharing agreement(s) between FB and Verizon. But, alas, these are “private” companies, and they don’t have to adhere to any semblance of what we might think is right.

1 Like

I’m guessing that even if you rip out the gps reciever from your phone they’d still triangulate your position through the cell towers you’re connected to.

Cory, I use VPN, DuckDuckGo for web searches, uBlocker for ads, and Privacy Badger, and I have my Facebook settings turned off so that Facebook will not track me across the web, and Facebook still discovers my searches. As an editor and writer, I sometimes look into companies and visit their web pages (not Facebook pages) and later when reviewing my “ad activity” on Facebook, it reveals that I have been to those websites and that I have an interest in this company. It’s unfathomable. I don’t know how to shake these psychotic stalkers off my tail. It seems like the only other option is to use Tor. I can’t imagine that deleting Facebook at this point will even stop it.

1 Like

Sadly this isn’t too surprising. Have you tried using private browsing or a separate browser entirely for Facebook?

Personally I use Firefox’s Container Tabs to keep Facebook sandboxed from general browsing although I’ve not tested how well it works. That said, in the ‘Advertisers you’ve interacted with’ section both ‘Whose website or app you’ve used’ and ‘Who you’ve visited’ are empty. But this is FB so I take that with a pinch of salt.

1 Like

I’ve considered switching to a new browser but don’t know which is best. Thanks for the input. I might give Firefox a whirl. I didn’t know about the sandbox feature.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.