Understanding conservatives

Continuing the discussion from Are conservatives more likely to be offended?:

@fnordius is one of many folks understandably baffled by the short-sighted, inconsistent and self-defeating antics of those units running this prevalent malware… which I’m sure you’ve noticed goes hand in glove with orthodox religion; kinda like what IE or MS Office is to Windows.

Thanks to science and BB, I’ve been less confused by this threat to general sanity and intellect than I used to be, due to the fine work of Bob Altemeyer of the University of Manitoba.

This link was posted here a couple of years back: http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/

Totally worth the read. We’re not talking reasonable person on a defensible patch of the political spectrum, we’re talking pathology. 261 pages, random snippet:

2 Likes

I have read that article, and though I find Professor Altemeyer’s book to be insightful and highly recommend it, I won’t continue this discussion as I risk trolling the trolls.

Thank you for the link, though. I had lost it somewhere along the line.

1 Like

I guess I should water the OP down a tad by conceding that of course there exists the potential for a perfectly sane individual to identify as conservative…

But if, dear reader, you’re the kind of ‘conservative’ who thinks the GOP isn’t stark raving bonkers, the crosshairs are on you. The definition of the label escapes you; it’s merely code for authoritarian.

1 Like

“Understanding conservatives” - isn’t that an oxymoron?

The original post dwelled under a bridge, not sure yet if this one has made it off the banks of the river or not.

If you read the book you’ll see it’s time to stop tolerating batshit insanity as a political choice.

Diplomacy isn’t my strong suit; I’m just calling it as I see it. Any perceived trolling here is merely an artefact of divergent views… one of which is supported by science.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 1215 days. New replies are no longer allowed.