US businesses stand to lose up to $35B as a result of PRISM

Add me to the list of those who will be making decisions (and changes) based on PRISM.

I haven’t researched options, but at least one is to run one’s own mail server. And it’s easy to do so.

Because it’s a collection of countries not beholden to US law. Example: Russia granted asylum to Snowden (I know Russia’s not in Europe, but it is an example of a non-US country not marching to the tune the US wishes).

An encrypted session to a server in a different country IS a tougher nut for the NSA to crack.

If anyone has any specifics about the converse (which countries HAVE given the NSA a backdoor) I’d be interested to hear it.

We don’t know Russia’s motives in granting asylum to Snowden.

We do know that Russia has said it will imprison gay athletes who attend the 2014 Olympic Games, and Russia has a wide history of civil rights abuses in the past few years. If they granted Snowden asylum simply to thumb their nose at the US, it’s different than them granting him asylum because they believe in freedom and privacy.

Sorry, I should have been clear, I don’t think reactions to PRISM will statistically move the usage or income needle for any US-based services. I did not mean that literally nobody will change their behavior as a result.

True, we’re just two commenters on one blog, but if two ‘secure’ mail providers have already shut down, why is it hard to believe that cloud providers won’t also feel the same pressures, or that the users of those services won’t move along elsewhere?

A friend of mine asked me a question today. The two companies that shut down so far shut down because 1) They couldn’t handle pushing back against the government and were likely already infilitrated by the NSA and likely turned over everything… .and 2) Because they didn’t have the legal resources to fight it.

The bigger providers have TEAMS and BATALLIONS of legal resources. They’re suing the government right now to release information and be more transparent. It took six weeks of silence for us to even hear from the Lavabit guy. Yet , google keeps us up to date on their efforts to reveal more information.

So which would you rather have? Batallions of lawyers, or one guy who MAY or MAY NOT turn your info over? The Lavabit guy made the right decision. How many small businesses that cannot defend themselves with lawyers will just turn it over in silence?

“So far as we know” is the key phrase. That’s only because there are no European Snowdens yet.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.