US launches airstrikes on Iraq

Why start in the 90s? The West has a long history of ‘helping’ Christians in the Middle East who are being attacked by Sunni militants. While we have made mistakes, I think you could say that we’ve made a genuine difference in the region over the years.

1 Like

The world is still waiting for Islam to pick up the 1,400 year-old check.

I think that, if you want to find the reason, you should probably follow the money: no-tender, no-audit, no-restriction contracts to companies very well-connected to the Republican party, notably Bechtel and Halliburton (through Kellogg, Root & Brown). Reflexive patriotic hysteria is what they used to snow the public.

Specifically Elf Aquitaine.

1 Like

“'cause, I mean, Napoleon had been steaming in there 100 years before: ‘I’m going to kill them, I’m going to kill them, going to… Oh, it’s a bit cold, it’s a bit cold. Right! OK, OK, bad idea.’ And then Hitler, ‘I’ve got a better idea, got a better idea… Oh, it’s the same idea! It’s the same idea, it’s the same idea…’”

Unfortunately, parody is dead.

But to your point, we can obviously imagine situations where international intervention is a good thing. We’ve got international law to protect people (which is obviously not anywhere close to perfect). But it’s very hard not to be cynical. When a real massacre is going on we don’t do a lot. The US doesn’t actually have a perfect record dropping bombs on people, so when I hear “airstrikes” I wonder if they were on artillery pieces or weddings.

If I knew what was really going on then I’d have a more educated opinion. I’m going to go on thinking this intervention is going to be a mess and be pleasantly surprised if I’m wrong.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.