IRAQ: Rocket strikes reported at US-Iraqi military base near Baghdad airport

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/02/reports-of-4-missiles-striking.html

1 Like

What the Christ.

Nothing on the major US media outlets yet.

6 Likes

I can’t even respond to the actual events anymore - any time something happens in Iraq, all I can think is, “Is this the excuse Trump is going to use to start a war with Iran? No? How about now?” (Which is kind of silly, as he doesn’t need an excuse; if he decides he wants to do it, he’ll invent something anyways, even if it is ostensibly in response to something.)

19 Likes

Then there’s (especially now) cui bono? And who actually fired the missiles?

6 Likes

What administration of the last 40 years hasn’t invented something to help nefarious plans along?

9 Likes

It’s how “the game” is played. And the people.

4 Likes

Not much mainstream coverage indeed. This was all I could find.

5 Likes

Hrm, well this can’t be good.

5 Likes

Trump’s only different in that his justifications aren’t even remotely plausible/don’t exist/don’t make sense… When he has a justification, it’s either totally unrelated (and there’s no reasonable way it acts as any sort of justification for anything he does), refers to something imaginary, or is basically just this weird non sequitur in general that makes your head hurt to try to understand it.

The thing is, he doesn’t seem to want to start any new wars, but that only lasts until he thinks a new war is to his benefit (based on someone convincing him it would be, e.g. Fox News). Or until he fucks up so badly he accidentally starts one without realizing it (not helped by his so grossly misunderstanding the nature of US power, mistakenly thinking it comes from having a big military, a big economy, and the ability to unilaterally demand things of the world). Either are plausible.

So many suspects… I mean, they targeted an anti-terrorist facility, so it could be Daesh related, or a Shiite militia group still feeling salty (or even someone more directly connected to Iran - they don’t exactly take Trump’s empty threats very seriously). It’s not like there’s a shortage of violence there, but the Trump administration is being super clumsy and pissing everyone off with their responses, so…

11 Likes

Where’s Pompeo? My first thought was it could be because of news black out if he is there or in transit.

4 Likes

Let’s not forget, everyone, this war has been over for years and the good guys won!

21 Likes

Sorry for nitpicking, but Tonkin Gulf happened about 55 years ago. And of course there are plenty more earlier than that, too. (“Remember the Maine!”)

2 Likes
10 Likes

That makes it real tough to blame the Iranians for it. So we are looking at Daesh or a local militia.

2 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think local militias nor Daesh have this type of technology. Appears to be a sophisticated drone strike by people with exceptional intelligence, given the target and the location. Israel or…

One article mentioned “Katyusha rockets”. Those are not sophisticated weapons and fairly prevalent
in the region. Hamas has been using them for years. It doesn’t require advanced technology. Just a checkbook and the right connections.

Even a drone strike doesn’t require advanced military equipment or knowledge. Off the shelf civilian tech and explosives. But nothing seems to be indicating a drone strike here.

6 Likes

Katyusha rockets are imprecise terror weapons without the ability to target specific vehicles/people. These were rockets alright, but fired from a drone, a whole new level of technology. Missiles. This appears to be a targeted assassination by drone. Daesh and/or local militias may possess primitive drones, but not drones firing rockets if ya feel me…research what countries are capable of this.

2 Likes

Why was Iran’s top general at Baghdad’s airport?

8 Likes

Someone just took out the Iranian leader of the Quds brigade. If the U.S. is behind this, it doesn’t bode well. Happy New Year people.

8 Likes

Um, if the dead are as reported, they would have been at the top of the shit list for an American retaliation strike for the embassy attack.

• An Iranian general in Iraq.
  • The deputy commander of Iran-backed militias known as the Popular Mobilization Forces
10 Likes