House Intel chair Adam Schiff on Iran: 'We have to expect retaliation'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/03/house-intel-chair-adam-schiff.html

8 Likes

Good-Omens-doomed

35 Likes

Oh yes. This isn’t over just because Donnie had a temper tantrum and doesn’t know the meaning of proportional response. And not just military and State Department staff. Likely something here through proxies.

24 Likes

Well I hope they limit the retaliation to those who voted for this moron.

8 Likes

Seems like the longest war in the US history will continue for at least another decade - at least. Few trillion dollars, 100s of thousands dead/wounded/displaced, immeasurable destruction. And for what? So Donald Trump can win re-election? Of all the bad things, this one is by far the worst he’s done.

14 Likes

That’s a big claim.

I ain’t saying you’re wrong! Just that it’s a spectacularly crowded field.

33 Likes

Is this part of some broader coherent plan?

Not in this timeline, mate.

13 Likes

How about those who voted for senators who voted to increase this moron’s military budget? Or people who voted for politicians who voted for the Iraq war? There’s plenty of blame to go around here, and this kind of jingoism is nothing new.

11 Likes

Arguably, the US has been, in one way or another, at war with one bit or another of the world since the later part of 1941.

13 Likes

So far, this seems like a pretty successful attempt to get people to stop talking about the impeachment.

20 Likes

Also, when has that ever been how it worked? Even in this strike, was the only person killed the primary target, or was there plenty of collateral damage? Nah. They aren’t going to be checking voting records when they hit back. Afterward “we” will no doubt strike back, no matter what they do or who they kill, and then we are off to the races.

I’m now leaning far more heavily to imprisonment rather than simply impeachment. But again, that wasn’t going to happen with Mitch in office. Or is it orifice? His tongue is just SO FAR up there that his head needs to soon follow or be left behind. So to speak.

10 Likes

Discussed with Russia- but not with Congress.

28 Likes

The Intelligencer article is particularly cynical.

10 Likes

And most of the years before that.

27 Likes

how cute!
a image of a clickable link. And not one of those trivial links either. It’s got a 44 character pseudorandom parameter, so you know this URL means business!

4 Likes

Sorry about that:

http://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/timeline3/latest/embed/index.html?source=1az91z47dIgpErVLAUHvZFL0qtnhD7b_DBt1aToxU9yU&font=Default&lang=en&height=650

13 Likes

Nothing whatever is preventing Rep. Schiff, and the rest of the Democrats in the House, from repealing the AUMF

and then sending it over to the Senate, where only a couple of GOP senators (I think Rand Paul would be a sure vote) would give it a majority. Even if McConnell managed to kill it a clear message would be sent that Congress wants its power to declare war back, where it belongs.

So DO IT, Democrats. If you just piss and moan, I’ll know you are not serious.

24 Likes

That’s obviously the ID of the google sheet that contains the timeline data.

1 Like
8 Likes

Yep. In my experience Republicans are fine with the President starting wars on his own no matter who the President is, and Democrats are fine with the President starting wars on his own as long as the President is a Democrat. So the only way to end this is when you have a Republican President and a Democratic Congress.

This time might be different as I think that even a few Republicans have had it with the forever war.

3 Likes