House Intel chair Adam Schiff on Iran: 'We have to expect retaliation'

I’m very familiar with this move. Sergei Lavrov basically told Pompeo “here, let me hold your purse…”

1 Like

I think the only thing that can ever stop USA from its eternal war if it gets hit at home. Wars are more of a hobby in USA. Send off a few men (mostly poor people who won’t be missed), a few may die, but with drone wars less and less of that too, but people at home just get to see TV-images of USA kicking ass and killing “bad people”.

Other people tend to have more experience of what it means to live in a country at war, when it is your own cities that burn, your own people fleeing. USA will keep making war until one day they fight an enemy too far and find a few cities going up in smoke from nuclear strikes.Then Americans may understand.

6 Likes

Tulsi Gabbard co-sponsored a bill to essentially do just that:

8 Likes

:musical_note: And the cities of Europe have burned before
And they may yet burn again
But if they do, I hope you understand
That Washington will burn with them
Omaha will burn with them
Los Alamos will burn with them :musical_note:

12 Likes

Well then since she is a Russian bot, getting us out of “presidential wars” is treasonous and we should never do it. /s

This incident is still within living memory of lots of those reading this thread.

Admittedly we retaliated against the wrong attacker, but we did retaliate.

1 Like

Thank you for including the “/s” tag. This talking point has become a rotting piece of fish.

2 Likes

While tragic, in terms of scale it can’t be compared to most wars. Unless you count all the people who died in the Middle East due to retaliation.

6 Likes

That was a couple of buildings not a war. Enough to stoke the bloodlust, but not enough to teach the real horrors of war. I have no doubt USA would obliterate whoever they thought had nuked a US city, or just some random country if they couldn’t prove who did it, but after that it might be a bit more careful about creating new enemies.

6 Likes

No. This is because Donnie is feeling the thread of an imminent election. Nothing helps re-election like a good old fashioned war. Both Bushes pulled that trick as well. Seems par for the course for a republican president.

6 Likes

… but people at home just get to see TV-images of USA kicking ass and killing “bad people”.

I’d post the clip with the theme song, but it is so, so offensive.

11 Likes

I wouldn’t call it retaliation in that case. More like random butthurt agression.

Edit: since realtime means “to return like for like”, and if it’s the wrong attacker, it’s not “returning”.

8 Likes

So, where’ve you been?

3 Likes

A sustained state-sponsored cyberattack that brings down critical infrastructure is more likely than a direct attack, and would be just as effective. Turn out the lights and stop the money flow for a week, and the chickenhawks will be suing for peace.

3 Likes

I was genuinely surprised at the time, but it did not work out that way for Bush 1.

4 Likes

The US doesn’t know how to not be at war.

8 Likes

so here we are, trump’s killed the big Iranian honcho to show how tuff he is, and the guy was bad, and Iran has been poking the tiger since trump pulled out of the agreement. trump in usual bad form, didn’t get with congress first, and so instead of having some semblance of consensus behind him he’s got more of a storm of doubts, and a record of lousy foreign policy. I can’t see it going well from here.

Pompeo says its de-escalation, meanwhile trumps threatening 52 targets, and Irans got 35 targets - that does not sound like making nice and patching up our differences, and when had Iran responded well to force anyway? So at best it could go not WW3 on us, but that will take some skillful moves that I just don’t think trump or who’s left of his staff have in them. Theres like no communication channels but twitter. Iraq’s likely to kick the US out. trump is a known jerk so who wants to talk to him anyway, its not like N.Korea just happy to be in the news.

For this to convert into a good outcome, Iran being a good citizen, the region becoming peaceful and prospering, well that would take a masterful effort to come out of violent pressure. I just don’t see trump pulling that off, not even close.

The guy was a major factor in the defeat of ISIS in Iraq, and is regarded by many Iranians and Iraqis as a war hero. He trained and led Iraqis in their fight against illegal, unjustified and murderous invaders of their country. The fact that some of those invaders were American does not in itself transform him into a villain.

Which, however, is not to say that I uncritically approve of the guy. But he does not appear to be notably more villainous than the special forces leadership of other countries.

The USA has accused the Iranians of making some relatively minor attacks on tankers in the Gulf. As far as I am aware, no evidence has ever been presented to substantiate these claims.

Meanwhile, the USA and her allies have been directly and repeatedly bombing Iranian troops in Syria, and openly attempting to crash the Iranian economy and provoke civil war in Iran.

Who is poking the tiger here?

Iran is not the aggressor in this conflict. Iran is not the source of the problem.

19 Likes

BTW: Soleimani was not the only person murdered yesterday.

8 Likes

True. But so you think that even a Democrat president would actually apologize for all that?