Iran War: As U.S. sends 3,500 more troops to mideast, the vibe in Baghdad is bad

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/03/iran-war-as-u-s-sends-3500.html

2 Likes

But Trump won’t lose any voters.

12 Likes

3,500 extra troops need weapons, clothes, bullets, missiles, bombs, food, tanks, trucks, airplanes…

Defense Stocks Rally as Citi Sees Iran Risk Boosting Spending

https://news.yahoo.com/defense-stocks-may-gain-iran-115542075.html?ref=hvper.com&utm_source=hvper.com&utm_medium=website

Same as it ever was.

(Boeing airplane division: “Praise be War!”)

18 Likes

Earlier…

3 Likes

I am waiting for Trump to blame Obama for all this, perhaps accuse him of “getting us into Iraq in the first place.” :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

Trump is so well known for his warfare acumen that he’s sure to see us through this mess!

/s

Seriously, fuck him and fuck all this bullshit!

13 Likes

Yanking the troops out of Syria without a plan to stop Turkey from slaughtering the Kurds was supposedly to fulfill a promise to bring troops home. Yeah, we can see Trump really gives a shit about bringing troops home…

16 Likes

I like your sentiment, but I think it goes deeper than just empty words from an empty man.

10 Likes

Politics 101 - The easiest and fastest way to get out of a political mess at home is to start a war abroad.

12 Likes
20 Likes

Can somebody tell me something basic about all this - what was an Iranian General doing in Iraq in the first place? I’m not on top of the changing relationships there, but last time I looked Iraq and Iran were not exactly friendly, and if anything Iran was always trying to shadow control what was happening in Iraq.

4 Likes

The Iran-Iraq war occurred when Saddam Hussein was in charge, and he was (at least nominally) a Sunni. I don’t recall any aspect of the war being over religion, but it’s one less thing the 2 gov’ts. would have had in common. There are more Shia than Sunni in Iraq, though, and recent governments (after the US invasion) have reflected these demographics. Iran, of course, is majority Shia and led by Shia clerics. I’m certain that Iran’s meddling in Iraq, but there’s nothing really unusual about a military leader visiting another country, in and of itself, e.g. for some (ostensible) cooperation. (At my old job Egyptian military officers visited our company, here in the US.)

But I also seem to recall that the religious leader al-Sadr(?) (in Iraq), while no friend of the US, was also wary/weary of the Iranians.

11 Likes

You could ask the same question about any US generals and have the same reason. Last I checked Iraq was invaded illegally by the US at great human cost. Whatever the current situation, Iranian generals are at least from a neighbouring country.

11 Likes

Soleimani was one of the key leaders in the fight against Daesh.

16 Likes

Slightly too much acting like a Viceroy in mideast affairs that too immediately rocket-attacked US and/or Coalition forces. Sauce: CSIS and @GreatDismal

Repurcussion Basilisk! Everyone paint your eyebrows up at the sides!

1 Like

Clue for the confused: do an image search on Iranian leaders.

8 Likes

From a poll conducted by the University of Maryland:

4 Likes

I guess it’s too much to hope that these actions would peel off some of Trump’s isolationist supporters?

3 Likes

But the Kurds are fighting Daesh!!!
Oh, yeah. That’s right.

3 Likes

BWAHAHAHA!!!

No.