Vaped crusader

Despite being a west coast boy, I currently am stuck in NY, a benighted, backward-ass shithole where you can’t even buy weed in a store.

3 Likes

Don’t vapes use lithium batteries? Lithium batteries bought from shady third party Amazon sellers? For that reason alone they should be banned from airplanes.

1 Like

[quote=“PeaceLove, post:60, topic:73621”]Vaping may not be entirely safe but it’s for sure waaaay safer than
[/quote]

NOPE

2 Likes

All you namby pamby loosers…
I modified my vape to burn coal, suckers!

Because FREEDOM!

19 Likes

The site you linked to does not in fact prove your point. The OP did not say that vaping was without risk, merely that it was safer than cigarettes.

Personally, I’ll stick to my chewing tobacco, as no one (but my wife) knows when I have a mouth full.

Real men swallow. :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

This whole… issue?.. seems like such a jerk-versus-jerk battle that it’s hard to support either side even where they’re right. Actual smoke is bad for others, and stains and bestenches walls / upholstery / etc., so there are reasons to consider both privately and civilly banning it. But it doesn’t follow that everything not permitted is forbidden, or that the tide is turning your way and everything that annoys you should now be banned.

We don’t know that second-hand vaping is harmful-- there’s little to no scientific basis to assume that, and no, it is not a general principle that everything has to be approved by science before it’s allowed to happen. If you want to ban vaping (in a way that’s compatible with a liberal democratic society), the onus is on you to find evidence that it affects non-vapers beyond offending their pea-princess sensibilities.

But it’s also bollocks to claim that “it’s just water vapor”. Have you seen water vapor? The only way someone blows out a cloud of steam at room temperature is by boiling water in their lungs. (It’s also not atomised water like in the produce aisle; that doesn’t remain as a mist after you breathe it in). No, what comes out of vaping devices is glycerin vapor, as used in theatrical fog machines. If you’ve spent time in a club near one of those machines, you may have noticed it’s not like breathing normal air.

Then again, those have been widespread for 50 years, and put out more vapor than a hundred douchebag investment bankers, and I’m not aware of any sentiment to ban fog machines.

But on the fifth hand, vaping in naughty places isn’t some daring act of rebellion. Vaping may be a substitute for smoking; it’s not a substitute for being cool.

In short, I wish there were some way for everyone to lose this argument.

12 Likes

NOPE AND NOPE

1 Like

Oh good–otherwise I’d have to assume that vaping was actually really really good for you :slight_smile:

I think this is at the core of the problem of not getting over zealous regulations. Many people don’t care until some idiot stinks up a room or exhales into other people.

2 Likes

You vape pure distilled water? No? It’s flavored? Yes i can smell it

2 Likes

2 Likes

Or they might just be to keep dangerous stuff out of the hands of people who don’t know how to use it.

If you’re writing from the US I can understand the bitterness, mind you. The huge gaps in coverage there are a constant surprise to those outside.

Those of us practicing elsewhere, however, might just smile wryly at the description of being called “privileged”.

I vape nada. If I were going to buy a vaporizer, it wouldn’t be for tobacco.

But if the vapor coming out of it is still choc-full of toxins, what’s the point of the whole enterprise over cigarettes? The question is partly rhetorical because I know I can smell a cigarette smoker a mile away. I see vapers before I smell them. I still probably chart a course away from them, 'cause yuk, but they’re the lesser of two fetors. I haven’t smelled them. But now I’m curious so I’m going to head towards them next time and see if I can smell the vapor.

What a shit show.

1 Like

Unlike cheap phones?

3 Likes

2 Likes

Wrong? Why?

Why should I have through arbitrary hoops and added cost in both money and especially time to get something that I want?

And sometimes even that is not possible, when local prescribing guides don’t allow giving you what you know helps you because it is not permitted for that in your area, even if in some other geographic area it is routinely used.

Lots of bullshit.

And big pharma corp price gouging, to add insult to injury.

I should get my arse into gear and develop those arbitrary-synthesis desktop microreactors… Recently I was poking around FT-visible and FT-Raman spectrometers, and they look pretty promising due to their simpler optics and higher sensitivity…

Because you can’t always get what you want. And you shouldn’t.

3 Likes

You’re right – we should just ban vaping in airplanes and public places altogether.

You usually can, but with added cost and logistical problems that should be unnecessary.

I want to be the final arbiter of what is too risky. If I can freely go and do an extreme sport, drive a car, or wash windows while standing on a chair, I don’t see why I shouldn’t have access to substances with similar level of danger.

2 Likes