Washington Post columnist on "repressing gag reflex" at interracial marriage

[Permalink]

What in the actual fuck? I cannot believe that was written in an actual newspaper that uses actual reporters.

Of course, Iā€™m pretty sure the ā€œconventional viewsā€ people are going to be freaked out that we let the blacks, Chinese, and even the Irish ride in the same subway cars with the white women.

15 Likes

Opinion columnists arenā€™t ā€œactual reportersā€. Fuck, I thought initially it was in the Moonie Times, but these entrenched scumbags will never get fired in establishment media either.

JFC, the WaPo has no shame.

4 Likes

Maybe itā€™s just a ham-fisted way of saying that he finds them sexy.

9 Likes

Cohenā€™s describing the so-called ā€œconventional viewsā€ of the GOPā€™s conservative base. I didnā€™t necessarily read this as his personal view. But given his odd way of saying things, I can understand how this would be taken that way.

Heā€™s an honest writer, you can say that much for sureā€¦

8 Likes

Further proof that whatever follows the lede ā€œIā€™m not a racist, butā€¦ā€ will invariably be chock-full of ignorant bullshit.

7 Likes

The author and some of the commenters to this piece need to re-read what Cohen wrote. Take your time and read for comprehension. He was talking about ā€œconventional conservatives.ā€

I wonder if there is a pill for knee-jerkingā€¦

4 Likes

I take the same thing from it, but doesnā€™t that mean heā€™s calling the conservative base racist?

5 Likes

@Paxsimius - Pretty much, yes.

4 Likes

For those outraged (as I was): Please go read the entire piece before reacting. Thatā€™s not the writerā€™s view of interracial marriage, heā€™s describing an ideal expoused by some cultural conservatives. It probably could have been written better.

10 Likes

GET RID OF HIM! We have not time for these racist pricks.

1 Like

Rupert Murdoch and many other conservatives are in interracial marriages. Who are these people with ā€œconventionalā€ views to whom he refers?

1 Like

@dsquid @drengy The ā€˜mistakeā€™ he made was letting his personal bias leak into his assumptions about conservatives. He doesnā€™t say that itā€™s the view of someone with a conservative mindset, but that of someone with a ā€˜conventionalā€™ mindset. Although the wider context is about conservatives.

Maybe using the word ā€˜conventionalā€™ was a slip of the tongue, but only in the same way as when someone describes a homosexual as abnormal.

The above of course isnā€™t quite the attention grabbing headline that sparked this thread - but it still sounds pretty iffy.

8 Likes

Well, itā€™s not like heā€™s dissing an actual inter-racial marriage. Last time I checked, both De Blasio and his wife were humans.

How can it be inter-racial if itā€™s the same species: itā€™s not like weā€™re talking rishathra here. . .

5 Likes

Iā€™m sorry, but I donā€™t read it that way. He writes like a slightly less wind-baggy David Brooks, but clearly heā€™s not saying that racism is OK. Heā€™s kind of making fun of rubes. Rightly so.

(That would be inter-species)

1 Like

Yeah, I would have to read some of his other columns before casting a judgement on his personal opinions. He may or may not be racist, but I donā€™t think this was the best example as he was pretty clearly describing the GOP base and doing so in a condescending way.

1 Like

Yes, itā€™s fairly clear that this is not Cohenā€™s view, but rather what Cohen thinks people with ā€œconventional viewsā€ think. It does seem more of an indictment, however, about what Cohen thinks the rest of the countryā€™s values are, and how out of touch he may be with prevailing national opinions. (That is, is he suggesting that animus toward intermarriage is mainstream? Maybe in some parts of the country, but I wouldnā€™t call it ā€œconventionalā€ to be racist anymore.)

2 Likes

And I maintain that itā€™s not an inter-racial marriage. They are both members of the human race. Now, if you want to consider the social construct of ā€œraceā€ based on some gross physical similarities, but have not as yet reached speciation, thatā€™s an entirely different question. . .

2 Likes

Iā€™m confused. Or maybe you are? Maybe we both areā€¦

6 Likes