How can the media regain its credibility in reporting on race in America?

[Read the post]

1 Like

Regain?

15 Likes

Too be fair, the mainstream media doesn’t give a shit about credibility so probably won’t change and will go on pointing out how other conglomerates dismiss the same people’s interests/views/perspective they do.

7 Likes

Wait, is this implying that the media has credibility in reporting about anything?

8 Likes

Step #1. Don’t be corporately owned.
Step #2. There is no step 2 because #1 is impossible.

9 Likes

6 Likes

Are you kidding Cory?? The internet killed the press. Nobody pays for papers anymore. Why pay for the news when the news feed is free. As a result good reporters are let go and those who remain regurgitate the AP wire for sound bites and stitched together shallow reporting. Investigative reporting … where the hell did that go??

The press in my opinion has absolutely no credibility left. Especially after the way they have let Hitler, I mean Trump, so completely off the hook. The press are corporate mouthpieces sold to the highest donation, I mean bidder. They do what they have to to stay afloat.

How can the press regain credibility? Report ONLY the weather. There’s a 50% chance it will be right.

3 Likes

Press =/= Media.

(How do you make a subset sign in ASCII?)

Also, do not forget that for many many people, the media never lost its credibility. It wouldn’t be on teevee if it wasn’t true.

4 Likes

Maybe if they weren’t so scared to say that actually racist things were racist…

7 Likes

No, I’m not kidding Cory.

All commas matter.

2 Likes

All comments do matter!

1 Like

2 Likes

No need for ASCII shenanigans, boing boing supports Unicode/UTF-8, no? ⊂

2 Likes

Report on each minority arrest and criminal charge as if they were innocent and wrongfully accused/arrested? I don’t know, it’d probably require something involving less centralized media ownership and more local journalists and beats. Maybe add a “Criminal injustice” editor and daily section?

Regain?

4 Likes

In the end, it doesn’t matter how good the press is if there aren’t enough people willing to pay for it, and we have clear evidence that as a society, we’re not willing to pay for the cost of quality reporting. I can assure you, if it paid to deliver quality news (no matter how you define quality), someone would be making money doing it.

Look, the Internet is supremely good at divorcing the money-making parts of an operation (selling advertising, selling goods) from the costs associated with operation (reporting news, running a showroom). Is there anyone who is actually surprised that things we are unwilling to pay for (reporters, customer service) become shadows of their former selves?

I don’t begrudge people choosing to save money via the Internet, clearly they don’t value the previously bundled service that highly. (Same goes with big box stores - we like the idea of friendly corner stores, but our dollars make it clear we prefer lower price to local service.)

But I do wince when we whine about the fact that no-one is willing to provide for free what we are not willing to pay for.

For once, a headline with a question mark that I actually appreciate.

One thing I’ve notice with the coverage of a number of movements/groups of dissenters across the political spectrum: there is zero attention paid or analysis given to the group’s list of demands and the coverage implies that they haven’t even thought about creating one when it’s there to be found with a simple web search. This could provide a departure from vitriol and a starting point for understanding.

Claims that the internet is responsible for the state of modern journalism would be more credible if not for the observation that the mainstream media was hopelessly corrupt long before the founding of the Huffington Post. Murdoch et al have been doing their thing for quite some time now.

The 1980’s were not a golden age of quality journalism.

The problem is not “millennials want everything for free”. The problem is greed and corruption.

5 Likes

The problem? Is it Millenials?

No. It’s never Millienials. Never. Was a Millienial involved? Still not Millenials. Did a Millenial do the Thing? Still not Millenials. Did it touch a Millenial at some point? Still not Millenials.

This message brought to you by the Bureau Of Things Change Sometimes So Stop Blaming “Kids These Days”.

2 Likes

I’ll just respond with my frustration.

I live in a small college town; less than 30k people. There were at least two BLM protests over the weekend. One was entirely peaceful. The other was at 11 p.m., on a Sunday night, 100 people, and one jackass decided he was going to take a stand, start yelling about how “all lives matter”, and hit a protester with his car.

Guess which one is getting national coverage?

Guess who the conservative blogosphere is siding with?

2 Likes