WATCH: San Francisco tour bus guide's anti-Chinatown rant

11 Likes

Isn’t it a bit presumptuous to assume that the “affected Chinese” will just shrug it off?

FWIW, I don’t think the world needs to come down on her like a tonne of bricks; I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. Obviously there are other things going on in her life and she’s not a career racist. The choice in how we respond is a lot less black and white than “fanning outrage” or “shrugging it off”. I think laughing at her behaviour somehow validates it though.

3 Likes

I can see how someone could find it funny, but I don’t think it was comedy. Comedy requires at least a hint of wit. This was just typically ignorant, shallow bigotry.

That said, I join you in shrugging it off. The world has always had a large number of essentially harmless bigots who sometimes turn their personal frustrations into profoundly stupid declarations (especially when intoxicated). I agree that there are better things to be outraged about.

2 Likes

A half hour later the German tourists were hungry for power.

2 Likes

What a coincidence that I just watched the New Orleans Top Chef episode last night where they have to choose between frogs and turtles cooked American-style.

3 Likes

Forget it, Jake…

5 Likes

because nobody admits to being a bigot, is how.

1 Like

That kinda reminds me of the time when I was a kid in the mid/late 1980’s, my parents and I took a guided bus tour of Washington D.C. As we drove passed the White House, the tour guide over the loudspeaker quipped that if Jesse Jackson has secured the Democratic nomination and won the presidency the official White House dinner might be fried chicken and watermelon. Seriously! As I recall his comment met mostly with groans of disapproval.

2 Likes

Are Don’t Push Your Luck Dragons chinese?

'Cause bro.

4 Likes

Most of the rant amounts to, “These people are very poor, and yet manage to hold their community together and maintain their dignity, and I hate them for it.”

That tour bus line goes past my apartment. From street level, you can easily hear what the tour guides say. Most of them seem to despise my neighborhood as well, though not nearly as much as this woman despised Chinatown. I often wonder why people take the tours – they seem awful.

6 Likes

Personally, I think it’s much funnier with the sound muted and the automatic Closed Captioning turned on.

2 Likes

I took it more of the “Let’s applaud so she won’t shank us with that bottle when she’s done with it…”

2 Likes

Have you met people? What a bunch of bastards.

9 Likes

In all fairness, Louisiana is like America’s uncle we never talk about when it comes to their food culture. Some bizarre shit there. I mean okra? Come on!

Though I will say the best filet Mignon I ever had was in New Orleans. And this is coming from a Kansas City resident.

1 Like

Why do you say that? She could be a horrible racist for all we know.

4 Likes

I love it when people get on the internet to talk about how we shouldn’t talk about stuff on the internet.

2 Likes

she forgot to say fuck inbetween words at two points in that video…

2 Likes

Not that I’m defending her (I’d totally love to live in Chinatown), but do you consider a $1,000 a month studio in east Oakland, miles from the nearest BART stop a “reasonable commuting option”? Because that’s about the best deal I’m seeing these days.

Something tells me you’ve never tried gumbo without okra. It is a vital component and without it is a pale, watery comparison.

4 Likes

Yes, Oakland isn’t that far, there’s just some ocean in the way. You can take the ferry from Jack London Square or bike/drive to a nearby bart station. I can often beat folks into downtown who live in the city. Rent in Oakland is pricey, but rent in SF is increasing much more dramatically, a 1 bedroom will go for around 3k.

1 Like