Watching words lose their origin

[Permalink]

2 Likes

You think motorcycles are a thing of the past?

2 Likes

Ones with kick starters are.

3 Likes

perhaps ā€œdiverge from their originā€ ?

cf ā€œdialing a numberā€ and ā€œcalling a friendā€

Or, I suppose the word-object could have been unlinked from its parent, or had the origin-pointer dereferenced. That could be problematic. Letā€™s just hope our language is not null-terminated, eitherā€¦

2 Likes

I wonder if my 7 year old will think Motley Crue is singing about fundraising.

Probably more like wondering why those ugly women with the bad haircuts are jumping all around the stage like that.

3 Likes

iā€™d be surprised if your kid knows (or cares) who motley crĆ¼e even is!

3 Likes

This was literally the first time Iā€™ve ever heard anyone associated with that band (other than Odean, of course).

I think it is great when words ā€œloseā€ their origins. It liberates them from the incidental details of the original usage.

But I may also be the only person who thinks we should have kept the floppy disk as the ā€œsaveā€ symbol until nobody remembers what those things were and it is perceived as fully abstract.

2 Likes

OK sorry, can anyone explain? What word? What origin?

1 Like

Hi @gilgongo, if a topic appears empty or confusing - thereā€™s probably a video you canā€™t see on the BBS. Just follow the (really small) link provided to the original Boing Boing entry to see the vid. Here the link says:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://boingboing.net/2014/09/18/watching-words-lose-their-orig.html

That should help.

2 Likes

They do if you are parenting right.

(I kid, I kid. Not a big hair band fan. KMFDM, howeverā€¦)

I canā€™t watch the video now, but I do have a few pet words whose alterations have bothered me. For one, decimation is only 10% of something destroyed/killed. But now it means something much worse.

And of course the word ā€œregulationā€ in the 2nd Amendment has the old use meaning something in proper working order, well drilled, has their shit together - not something that is controlled by a bunch of laws.

4 Likes

You, sir, have forgotten how to RAWWWWWWWWWWWWWK.

6 Likes

Donā€™t follow motorcross much do you?

Hereā€™s one thatā€™s become fully abstract.

5 Likes

Thanks Catgrin, it does feel like I canā€™t see something. The link you quote just takes me back to the entry. Oh well, none the wiser. See ya.

The main entry is where you should be going.

The vid is Motley Crue singing ā€œKickstart my Heartā€. You might be missing the one-line joke ā€œI wonder if my 7 year old will think Motley Crue is singing about fundraising.ā€ under it. This happens sometimes when vids are part of a post.

Weā€™ll figure it out. It is certainly something weā€™ve noted. Its extra weird when the post is meant for the discussion.

1 Like

I guess the author assumes we all know the titles of Motley Crue songs. The author assumes wrongly.

1 Like

Iā€™d be surprised if many people who werenā€™t already familiar with the song would even realize he was using the word ā€œkickstartā€ in that video, itā€™s pretty hard to make out with that slurred nasal style he has and ā€œkickstartā€ is an unusual enough expression that itā€™s not the first thing that comes to mind when you hear some ambiguous wordsā€¦I thought it was ā€œcanā€™t stop my heartā€ until I googled some lyrics.

[quote=ā€œcatgrin, post:10, topic:41380, full:trueā€]This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://boingboing.net/2014/09/18/watching-words-lose-their-orig.html

That should help.
[/quote]If he canā€™t see it on the BBS, he also probably canā€™t see it on the normal page (due to adblockers/noscipt/etc.). Instead of just pointing him back to another blank page, you could have just told him that ā€œItā€™s a video of a song called ā€˜Kickstart My Heartā€™ā€ ā€¦ shorter, more informative, and no link-clicking required.

2 Likes