Web Literacy Standard 1.0 from Mozilla

[Permalink]

a map of the territory for the skills and competencies Mozilla and community think are important to get better at to more effectively read, write & participate on the Web.

Speaking of literacy, thatā€™s an awful sentence, or sentence-fragment. The juxtaposition of two prepositions is hideous, and the whole thing just piles phrases on top of each other. I hate to think what the whole sentence looked like.

2 Likes

Does it mean Iā€™m web-illiterate that I have no idea what the fuck theyā€™re talking about?

2 Likes

Trolling to best enrage others:

• Insulting Apple computers
  • Claiming to be an audiophile
  • Complaining about other peopleā€™s bad grammar
  • Being sympathetic to the NSA
  • Not being a hipster
  • ā€¦
1 Like

My thoughts exactly.

So, whatā€™s the goal here? Is this supposed to be model language for education plans?

The goal seems mainly to make it appear superficially that the Mozilla foundation is interested in education of web literacy. On examination, the provided ā€˜curriculumā€™ is a pretty paper-thin facade: a series of brief bullet points detailing common-sense goals, and a WYSIWIG template for educators to make their own website that somehow teaches a lesson that may align with some of those bullet points somehow.

As an art educator for whom new media literacy is an important focus, I was excited by the headline, and excited to forward these standards and resources along to colleagues - but there is virtually nothing of actual use here.

EDIT: This morning none of the project exemplars were loading for me. Thereā€™s a lot more going on than I was able to see when I posted my comment, and I can actually see a lot of utility for some of the projects here.

Hey! I thought Iā€™d chime in as I work for Mozilla and was a part of the process of rolling out the Web Lit Standard. In case it helps clear up some confusion ā€” the web literacy standard was developed as a part of a community-driven process, in an effort to create a standardized, commonly-agreed upon framework for what being ā€œweb literateā€ means. Right now, that doesnā€™t exist, but should, as itā€™s helpful to have common thinking amongst educators teaching about and with the web.

Calling it ā€œ1.0ā€ is a little misleading ā€” this is being put out there for others to try and implement by testing it, breaking it and building their own curriculum. Thatā€™s what it means to be doing this as a community-driven process: weā€™ve gotten as far as we can, but the next step is for educational organizations to test it out and see how it measures up in the real world. Through that process collectively weā€™ll see whatā€™s missing, what works, what doesnā€™t, and start to develop a network of effective and diverse curriculum, lessons and resources.

One last thing to note: I know weā€™re best known for FireFox, but Mozilla cares very deeply about education. Iā€™m a part of our Webmaker project ā€” whose goal is all about teaching an learning (our tagline is to move people from being the users of the web to the makers of the web). It combines easy-to-use teaching tools like a self-correcting html editor, ā€œx-ray gogglesā€ which allow you to see and change the code behind any web element, and the integration of together.js to allow for remote teaching, as well as a global community of educators teaching their peers, and, yes, the web literacy standard to map the framework of our education. The Web Literacy Standard was rolled out as a part of the overall presentation on Webmaker at the Mozilla Festival this past weekend ā€” and is being put out there for feedback like this so we can make it better.

If you care about this stuff or see things about it that arenā€™t working, Iā€™d encourage you to join in the process, give us feedback, and help us build the standard (and the curriculum that will surround it) together.

Thanks

3 Likes

Hi Girard,

Just a quick note (and full disclosure I work for the Mozilla Foundation on our teaching/learning work) to say the Teaching Kits are intentionally streamlined to invite educators to remix them with their own content and to improve them, all while leveling up their own HTML, CSS and Javascript skills. The goal is to make a OER publishing and production process utilizing the Webmaker tools. We are a long way from getting it right but want this to be an open and participatory process. Partners like the National Writing Project and the YMCA of Canada are helping us flesh out examples and re-mixable curriculum. Here are two prototypes that arose from the recent Mozilla Festival:

1. A curriculum for Girls in Tech https://stephguthrie.makes.org/thimble/girls-in-tech-teaching-kit
  2. Mixed media artist Max Capacity includes a tutorial in his music video for others to hack and remix https://popcorn.webmaker.org/editor/60433/remix

Sounds like you would have some great ideas to add to and improve this work, feel free to find me on twitter @chrislarry33 if youā€™d like to contribute.

2 Likes

More details here https://wiki.mozilla.org/Webmaker and here https://webmaker.org/en-US/teach

Thanks so much for the informative reply! Looking at the site again, Iā€™m noticing that this morning when I commented none of the exemplars on the ā€˜Resourcesā€™ page were being loaded (maybe the CMS doesnā€™t play nicely with a slower connection? Or Boing Boing traffic slowed it down? I donā€™t know), so all I was seeing on the teach page was the button to ā€˜discover the web literacy standardā€™ and that little running cat which just looked like a cutesy graphic, rather than an indication that more content was trying to load.

So I wound up only seeing the standard, with its bullet-points, and ā€˜Resource Template,ā€™ which was the vague/generic ā€˜WYSIWYG template I saw.ā€™ It looked extremely bare-bones.

Now, with all of the exemplars visible, I can see the utility. I like the various little simple one-page HTML projects with highly-commented code that encourages students to appropriate and adapt it for their own means.(Iā€™m reading through the ā€˜comicā€™ one right now - itā€™s a pretty neat little project, and nicely expandable!).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.