What coffee does to your body

I have found that the edge I get from coffee or loose from abstaining mostly comes back naturally after about a week.
It is the stay up late and medicate with coffee to cover culture which drives coffee sales for crap coffee.
Brightly lit screens and artificial lighting(and before that less problematic books) screw with out circadian rhythms and make work, play, and fidgeting an alternative to bedtime for both sleep and pleasure requiring a fix in the AM.
I like the taste of coffee, acquired though it is, I would be sad if my favorite drug were gone.

3 Likes

[quote=ā€œMindysan33, post:12, topic:62069, full:trueā€]
But what if it was caffeine that disappeared, entirelyā€¦ ?[/quote]
I find that to be a fairly frightening idea. The industrialized world would have to shut down for a week while we addicts went through withdrawal. Like many addicts, Iā€™ve tried to quit from time to time, and I donā€™t have the willpower. And that from a guy who quit smoking cold turkey and beat a prescription opiate dependency.

6 Likes

There is something called pure evil. Some also call it ā€œdecafā€.

ā€¦and something that perfectly fits both today and the topicā€¦

4 Likes

I started drinking a lot of tea to deal with asthma, plain dizziness, etc. I have tried cutting back at times, with short-term success. But I havenā€™t had any improvement in my sensory processing issues, headaches, etc. after cutting back.

4 Likes

What coffee does to my body? There have never been any studies of how I choose to metabolize coffee.

Or how I choose not to metabolize mint. I tried looking up sources on why mint induces vomiting, but found a scatload of articles on how it relieves nausea in other people.

Or how my body chooses to fight off benadryl. I tried looking up sources on what could be involved in benadryl allergies, but found a scatload of articles assuming it would help treat anaphylaxis instead of induce it.

1 Like

Wait, is that the start of the dystopia or because my short story is a dumb ideaā€¦

Thatā€™s hypnotic, though, either way.

2 Likes

Sure there was. It was at the same time that you did the study on memory-blocking drugs.

7 Likes

I used to drink liters of Mountain Dew daily. A couple of years ago I was trying to lose some weight and started counting calories. Some days I was drinking over 2000 calories of Mountain Dew. That, along with the frequent headaches from a couple hours of withdrawal prompted me to quit cold turkey.

Itā€™s been 25 months since I have had any caffeine and I donā€™t plan on changing that any time soon.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the diner saying ā€œno coffeeā€.

6 Likes

not my mug, it is a small coffee pot. I go for the largest mug possible.
when iā€™m at a hotel and they have the standard white mugs, iā€™m like what is this madness, coffee shot glasses?

5 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s pretty much why Iā€™ve cut my coffee intake back to about 20% of what it used to be - I sort of developed a sensitivity to coffee (I say developed, but truthfully I earned that sensitivity)

2 Likes

Apparently, the first thing that entered my mouth, besides Mamaā€™s Milk, was coffee with milk and sugar. Over the years Iā€™ve stopped adding sugar, and I can do it without milk, but thatā€™s as far as I am willing go.

If the world ever runs out of coffee, I might have to take myself out of it, because thatā€™s not a world I want to live in. For me the smell and taste of coffee make me feel like everything is gonna be alright. Gas station coffee is just for the caffeine to allow me to get to where the actual coffee is.

Besides, if coffee is extinct, thereā€™s no way the rest of the place is not hugely fucked up.

Actually, I could live a better life with only decaf (but good tasting) coffee than I could with adequate caffeine that tastes like sadness.

5 Likes

3 Likes

On the subject of caffeine, itā€™s fun to observe how the reputation of espresso and of North American filter coffee are switched aroundā€¦

Wherever you go, Espresso has a reputation of being much ā€œstrongerā€. Many Europeans just assume that American filter coffee can be drunk by the liter with no adverse effects. When I ordered a single espresso in a Canadian coffee shop close to a university after 5 pm, the waitress asked me whether I was going to spend a long night studying, her voice full of concern for this poor overworked student.

Butā€¦ ā€œone espressoā€, when done right, is at most 40ml (1.35 oz) of strong coffee. Usually about 70mg of caffeine. ā€œOne cup of coffeeā€ in the context of American filter coffee is a lot more caffeine. For Starbucks brewed coffee, serving sizes range from 8oz (236ml) at about 160mg all the way to 20oz (591ml) at 415mg of caffeine.

So, at up to four ā€œcups of coffeeā€ (of the 70mg stuff) a day, I can still go cold turkey without noticing any withdrawal symptoms whenever the occasion arises (I know because it happens whenever I go on vacation in places without decent cafĆ©s).

And yet, I get to impress Americans with my supposed superhuman resistance to caffeine.

1 Like

A decaffeinated world might not be ALL badā€¦

1 Like

Most drip coffee you get in a restaurant is not very strong. This is partially due to the type of drip pot and the type of coffee made in the homeland where a lot of immigrants came from, it is meant for farmer joe to be able to have 5 to 10 cups while chatting at the cafe and not become a jittery mess.

1 Like

Then there would be NO TEA, and the universe would cease to exist.

6 Likes

Havenā€™t you played the Hitchhikerā€™s Guide computer game? If so, youā€™d know that itā€™s possible to simultaneously have TEA and NO TEA.