What's killing starfish?

[Permalink]

1 Like

From the article, the viruses and bacteria of starfish have never been studied before because starfish aren’t "“of commercial importance.” And yet they are also a “keystone predator” that plays a vital role in shaping the environment.

I’d say that makes them pretty bloody commercially important. It’s just that until now they’ve been considered either a decoration or a nuisance.

2 Likes

First it was honey bees, now it’s starfish, next it will probably be kittens. :^(

Found this, and it sounds like scientists postulate overpopulation may have allowed a disease to run rampant. People are posting a lot about the huge die-off numbers, but they aren’t posting about the huge numbers of sea stars that were around prior to this event.

This may be nature falling back into balance.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/news-video/video-scientists-probe-mass-die-off-of-starfish-in-bc/article14737787/

Horrifying pictures of huge colonies of kittens suddenly dying by tearing themselves apart are racing through my mind.

OK, you wrote that, and I added tiny ponies tied to their limbs.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.