West coast starfish rebound after deadly epidemic

[Read the post]

2 Likes

The hopeful rebound of the starfish population makes me almost as happy as the thought of baby sea stars.

9 Likes

Somebody should notify ENE News.
They were all over this back then, “Oh, noes, it’s the Fukushima radiation!”

So, it's good to know, all that long-half-life stuff has cleared up by now ... ahem.:smiling_imp:

5 Likes

GO SLUGS!*

*Please interpret that as support for both the starfish population as well as support for UC Santa Cruz.

7 Likes

Sure, but what are they back for? Is it revenge? It’s revenge, isn’t it?

10 Likes

‘droves of baby sea stars’ is my favorite phrase today.

5 Likes

I’m writing a song about them right now.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t ‘twinkles of baby sea stars’ (à la ‘a murder of crows’) be more apt?

11 Likes

This is perfect.

1 Like

I’m still upset that a group of squid isn’t a “squad.”

6 Likes

West coast gulls rejoice.

4 Likes

@jlw comes through with another Boing Boing Wonderful Thing!

6 Likes

I’ll sing backup vocals.

2 Likes

ROGER THAT!

Dude or Dudette…

2 Likes

Dudette

1 Like

This is why genetic diversity matters. A single mutant gene can confer immunity to the latest plague, and in short order the whole population will have that gene. Monoculture means complete vulnerability. Roundup-ready doesn’t help.

1 Like

The crops you see growing haven’t been the breeding population in a long time (60+ years). The older hybrid seeds in particular were completely unsuited to being used to seed next years crops thanks to basic Mendelian genetics. You could plant them, but they didn’t have their parents mix of traits since they were the F2 generation. Mutations were induced deliberately for breeding purposes via exposure to radiation and chemical mutagens.

2 Likes

Arboreal starfish return to coastal forests, yay! Everting my gut into a hapless VW in solidarity. Sauce them up so the coral survive.

I did not know that. Genetic diversity still matters.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.