Why I'm leaving London

[Read the post]

5 Likes

It’s canny up here in the North, mind. Did you consider Scotland as well?

12 Likes

I was about to say almost the same thing. Cory’s ship has sailed, but cities in the North have a lot going for them - Manchester & Liverpool. Newcastle. Edinburgh…

7 Likes

There’s got to be more to this. Moving from London to LA because you are having problems with London, when you say that other cities in the UK do not have such severe issues seems to show that you aren’t considering anything other than LA as a living destination.

9 Likes

It’s not just where you’re moving from, it’s where you’re moving to. and both matter. Just curious, but why L.A.? Is this U.S.C. related?

1 Like

Wait, and you think Los Angeles is a better place to live?! Really??

30 Likes

LA is an unusual choice, but there are nice neighborhoods I suppose (Santa Monica is mellow down by the water). I’d really suggest Seattle though. It may not be as media centric as LA but has much better outdoor activities (not to mention great schools).

5 Likes

Well the weather is better. Many of the same points probably still apply though.

1 Like

Be sure and pack plenty of water.

28 Likes

Plus, a stint in the UK will have toughened him up vis a vis rain :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not entirely sure I would call a serious drought & bad smog “better weather” but that’s just me!

5 Likes

Wait, you’re coming to Los Angeles to escape overdevelopment aimed at the wealthy?

So, where, Highland Park?

7 Likes

If it ain’t too late, I’d warn you away from L.A. Go to San Diego, where the squalor is less pervasive and the air is cleaner (and the weather overall is just as nice). Don’t move to Los Angeles unless you have to. I moved here in 1991 to work in movies. For most of fifteen years I went back to San Diego every single weekend. Now that I’m married with kids, I stay here in Pasadena and haven’t been to my hometown in too many years. But I miss it terribly and would move back to San Diego in a heartbeat.

Living in and around L.A. is waaay too similar to living in a 24/7 version of GTAV. That game had nice weather too.

15 Likes

“The short version is, we want to live in a city whose priorities are
around making a livable place to work, raise our family, and run our
respective small businesses.”

…and you chose LA? lol

11 Likes

Should probably read Sandra Tsing-Loh’s Mother On Fire before committing to the move.

2 Likes

Yeah, but if you can go to LA, why wouldn’t you?

1 Like

The internationalization of real estate is not only changing London but changing NYC, SF, LA, Boston, and even Cambridge, MA, where I live. People with too much money are buying up properties around the world and raising the prices for those who actually live there rather than visit for a few weeks or a few months a year. This is changing the fabric of urban life all around the world and is not discussed or considered in local real estate issues as it should be.

17 Likes

I am constantly amazed at some folks inability to consider small-mid sized cities as livable destinations. A place with 50k-100k residents isn’t “rural” or “remote” - yet I’ve frequently heard those terms refer to places I’ve lived with such populations. It’s OK to live in a place that doesn’t have terrible traffic and obscene property valuations.

15 Likes

Yeah I really think the only worse choice than LA might be NYC. Any number of smaller US cities would make far more sense.

Personally I’d recommend Philly. It’s changed so much for the better the last decade. And doesn’t seem to have lost much of its weirdness, roughness or the sort of “family” focus Cory is looking for. I often regret leaving, but there wasn’t any work for me there and still isn’t.

2 Likes

For sure - I live in a University town with about 125K (more when school is in) and I’m very happy. It’s big enough that I have an arts scene (generously supported by 19 year olds with money) but small enough that I can bike everywhere I need to. And it’s halfway between two of Canada’s 3 biggest cities.

(If you’re Canadian, I’m pretty sure you know what town I’m talking about at this point).

5 Likes