Windermere Cay apartments in Florida are so awful they will fine residents $10,000 for negative reviews

[Permalink]

Streisandized!

6 Likes

I was once asked to sign a lease that made “defecting” on the grounds terms for eviction.
I signed under duress and still live with the mental scars…

1 Like

This is why my social media accounts are anonymous or under a fake name.

I hope the residents know that. I know too many people who would pay a fine because of fear and ignorance of the law. Most of them are older people. I don’t know who resides in these apartments, but there’s a reason Florida has been called God’s waiting room.

3 Likes

I came over here to read the scathing comments and was surprised to find less than half a dozen. Seems like Windermere’s threats are working! /s

I didn’t know Babs was running apartment buildings.

1 Like

Hasn’t this kind of thing been ruled on already and in not in favor of the companies trying to enforce this kind of crap? Okay maybe not in Florida but what kind of idiot lawyer allows a company to come up with this crap?

3 Likes

The contract makes no reference to guests. If I were in the unfortunate situation of being a tenant at Windmere Cay, I would invite my guests to take all of the pictures that they like and post anything they want to social media.

2 Likes

It will now. :wink:

Well, that certainly went well.

They had 0 yelp reviews 2 days ago, now they have 76, all of them scathing. Total Yelp Rating: 1 Star.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/windermere-cay-winter-garden

9 Likes

No they aren’t. Names you chose are more “real” than any your parents picked before they even knew you.

2 Likes

Lots of dubious bits in that “agreement”. Such as even the conceit of agreeing what constitutes “negative” publicity. If they meant unfavorable, they should have said so. One can easily posit many things which Windermere would still find embarrassing. “There’s even free algae in the swimming pool!” Also, their claims upon people’s copyright seem unlikely to work. As jdaniel90 mentions, even having a friend or non-lease-holder take the photo instantly eliminates any possibility there without legal contest.

2 Likes

I thought for a moment that this was a @doctorow post. This appartment complex is literally right next to Disney Magic Kingdom cast member parking.

Because of all the old magazines?

2 Likes

Not if you came late to the party and all the names you wanted were taken. Then it’s about picking one that won’t get you hassled and that you can remember.

1 Like

Well, yes, there is that…

I lived in an apt that went condo in the late 80s and someone “defected” in the elevator. God they must have been storing it up for a week.

1 Like

But defectors wouldn’t need their apartment anymore – they would have a nice apartment arranged by the intelligence service of whatever land they defected to.

1 Like