1,000 musicians gather to play Rage Against the Machine hit

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/12/1000-musicians-gather-to-play.html

2 Likes

Well, that was good fun. I like the idea of 1,000 people yelling, “Fuck you, I won’t do what you tell me!” in unison.

9 Likes

Man i miss Rage

4 Likes

one of my fave songs from the 90’s. Well done Rockin’1000!!!

3 Likes

Love the irony (duality?) of a mass group of people all shouting ‘fuck you I won’t do what you tell me’ at the exact same coordinated time and pitch.

7 Likes

Choosing cooperative action is not the same as being forced to cooperate.

14 Likes

They are the heroes we need right now.

4 Likes

Now bear with me here cause this gave me a bit or an epiphany.
When ever asked what makes you cry at movies it will always be acts of compassion. When the old neighbor gets Beth a piano to bring the sick girl a little bit of joy…water works. The list goes on…Compassion comes out of empathy. Empathy is feeling what another person is feeling. So you get 1000 plus folks rocking out and dancing in the stands to one song…and yes in unison singing fuck you don’t tell em what to do…it is by extension an act of compassion, writ large.
And true to form at moments I was moved to wet eyes.

8 Likes

Obligatory:

Also: that is fuckin’ AWESOME!!

Horns!!

5 Likes

I’m having a much more emotional reaction to this than their other outings.

3 Likes

Tangentially related: Tom Morello, Scott Ian, Nuno Bettencourt, D.B. Weiss and Brad Paisley (WTFLOL) “shred” GoT theme song. Unintentionally Hilarious chedder-sniffing face ensues. Watch at your own pleasure

7 Likes

sigh.

Now I have to start brushing up on my German in case 2020 goes the way I expect and I need to emigrate.

2 Likes

\m/ WOOO!!! \m/

I love everything about this. All those people who love the music brought together to play the music. So cathartic. So much energy in the arena. It looks like an absolute blast and I want to attend one of these someday. Also, it’s great to see what looks like three generations rocking out together.

2 Likes

God, me too. I remember riding around in my friend’s VW bug listening to this song on his jambox (because no car stereo, and certainly no tape deck). Seeing these good people scream, “Fuck you I won’t do what you tell me!” is a great way of telling the world we’re still here.

5 Likes

That was awesome! I remember the first time I heard that song. They were still unknown and new. I immediately loved it because well … “Fuck you I won’t do what you tell me” It doesn’t get anymore rock n roll than that! Thank you Germany!

3 Likes

add to that playing an iconic song of an anti-capitalist band inside a venue branded for a large Bank.

I guess this is like the “Sex Pistols Credit Card” we were given.

1 Like

Same. There are very few bands I’ve liked and not seen over the years and for some reason I never got to see them live.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I was in a club once that played this, immediately followed by Dolly Parton’s “9 to 5.” Nobody even left the dance floor. Class.

4 Likes

I was in a club where the DJ played Steps followed by speedcore, and nobody left the dancefloor.

@GilbertWham will know who I’m talking about.

4 Likes