$1,400 drone carrying 6 pounds of crystal meth crashes at US/Mexico border

I’m pretty sure that was a side-quest in GTA: San Andreas.

3 Likes

They need someone to help run the risk/benefit tables for that sort of thing. 3 Kilos of crystal meth can go for many tens of thousands of dollars. Next time just buy more drones and save in the long run!

1 Like

And it says so quite clearly.

Which means the 3kg of meth should have been no problem, which means there’s some other failure mode involved here.

…Meth?

4 Likes

Is it too early to blame the Noth Koreans?

5 Likes

Drone + AI = Mule?

Although it’s never wise for the courier to sample the content. It upsets the vendor.

I believe that they do use giant slingshots, trebuchets …
Here’s a “trebuchet” video:

Edit: T-shirt cannons as well.
Mexican drug gangs now using T-shirt CANNONS to fire soup cans filled with marijuana 500ft over U.S. border | Daily Mail Online

3 Likes

As others pointed out, not an issue of overload. Maybe a simple mech or nav failure. Or maybe a drone vs drone intercept. You think DEA is not budget-justifying its way into a defensive fleet as we blog?

Given what moonshiners did for auto performance it’s a lead-pipe cinch that drug smugglers will similarly drive up drone performance. Simple economics, necessity being the Mother of Invention, etc. Mi amigos, you are witnessing the fledgling evolution of NASDRONE. Count on a ‘Droneral Lee’ in our future.

8 Likes
1 Like

NO!

YOU CAN’T BRUISE THE METH

jeez you plebeians

1 Like

Truth.

http://www.narcoticnews.com/drug-prices/meth/

1 Like

[quote=“jemida, post:17, topic:50479”]
Actually the guy in the promo video says it can carry ‘almost 5 kilos’ of equipment … that’s considerably more than 6 pounds[/quote]

[quote=“LemoUtan, post:23, topic:50479”]
Which means the 3kg of meth should have been no problem, which means there’s some other failure mode involved here.[/quote]

I believe it may have ‘settled during shipment’. Stuff is like polonium, it just gets -everywhere-.

Yep… they use ones MUCH bigger than a tshirt cannon as well:

1 Like

Go home, Drone! You’re too high.

2 Likes

Seems like the cartels could find a cheaper sabot than a $1400 drone.

Instead, they could have bought 5kg worth of foie gras lobes to stuff with the crystal meth; it would have saved 'em $500 (making a wild assumption that one could fit 1kg of meth inside a 1kg chunk of goose liver and using the U$80/lb figure from the first google link).

Wait until these guys find hobbyking.com

2 Likes

“The downed device was reported at 9 p.m. in the parking lot a Zona Rio neighborhood supermarket and strip mall…”

Say, isn’t that right next to the ‘Los Pollos Hermanos’?

Wow, imagine what could be done with a Skyhook or altitude record type baloon, a HAHO rig with oxygen, and a GPS. A lightweight courier and say 100kg of whatever cargo desired.
Prohibition always makes for cool spy like smuggling gadgets, fast cars, airplanes loaded with radar warning gear, cigarette boats, narco submarines, and now drones.
My wife frequently worries I will take my dream job of below radar terrain following narco stealth pilot, the only downside is that you can’t log those flight hours. I think DEA using military AEWACS planes with doppler look-down ground scatter elimination radar have eliminated this classic delivery method.

2 Likes

Hey, can I have a bite of that hot dog?

Why buy an expensive branded multicopter when one can build a custom one at a fraction of the cost and focus on strong points (more powerful motors) while ditching extras (LEDS)? It won’t even need a Receiver as the APM controller can have a route preprogrammed and would just need to execute it via its GPS.

2 Likes