1,650 year old unopened wine bottle looks like it should stay that way

Pairs well with 1,650 yr old wine I hear.

3 Likes

It would be interesting to see how Twinkies fare after 500 years or so.

1 Like

This is making the drunk Lannisters very sad!

sad-tyrion

cersei-sad-face-regal

4 Likes

“scientists recreated ancient wine-making techniques, set up a vineyard, and followed the old ways to the letter, using wooden tools and strips of cane to tie their vines.”

I hope they didn’t sweeten it with lead.

Do you trust toothpaste?

I knew I recognized the hairdo.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/opinion/sunday/ignore-the-snobs-drink-the-cheap-delicious-wine.html

For one thing, winemaking has long fused art with science, even if that’s not the story drinkers are told. Ancient Romans doctored their wines with pig’s blood, marble dust, lead and sulfur dioxide. Bordelaise winemakers have been treating their wines with egg whites for centuries. And though the chemicals dosed into wine can sound alarming, some, like tartaric acid, already occur naturally in grapes. The only difference is that today’s winemakers can manage the process with more precision.

This technological revolution has democratized decent wine. Thanks to pumps and powders, drinkers who can’t splurge no longer have to settle for plonk. The gap between fine wine and commercial wine is shrinking as producers use chemical shortcuts not only to avoid blatant flaws, but also to mimic high-end bottles. They can replicate the effects of oak for a fraction of the price of real barrels, correct for inferior climates and keep quality high in crummy vintages. “It is one of the ironies of the wine market today,” the wine critic Jancis Robinson writes, “that just as the price differential between cheapest and most expensive bottles is greater than ever before, the difference in quality between these two extremes is probably narrower than it has ever been.”

I must say I do dig the glass bottle design.

Umm. That could be tricky.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.