10 knife sets that will make you a kitchen samurai

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/07/10-knife-sets-that-will-make-y.html

Good knives are a joy, but damn! that multi-colored set just hurts my eyes!!

Could someone do a value comparison of these like America’s Test Kitchen? I’ve seen the discussions previously of the fake Damascus 3 knife set, but the handmade 3 piece set looks interesting.

2 Likes

X-All-The-Y_phixr

6 Likes

samurai2

9 Likes

You read my mind.

5 Likes

Boing Boing’s shop lost any authority to hawk knives with those Damasukasu knives. “Originally priced at 599.99” my ass. Some quick Googling reveals that the supposed welding pattern is a cheap laser etching on a cheaper stainless steel blade.

If you need a reliable knife with little fuss, get a Victorinox, Wusthof, or Henckels, or any $10 thing from a restaurant supply. If you want a serious knife, talk to someone at a knife shop about something hand-forged. Also, as a general rule, don’t buy non-name-brand knives on the interwebs unless you recognize the manufacturer or know what you’re doing.

11 Likes

tenor

3 Likes

Which at least will have a tolerable handle. That Precision 2-piece set looks positively painful. This is what happens when “stylists” are allowed near time-honored designs.

As I mentioned the last time these were offered, “Damasukasu” sounds like a Japanese or pseudo-Japanese rendering of “Damascus”.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it’s supposed to suggest Damascus-style pattern welding in a Japanese-made knife. But of course, not so much.

3 Likes

As a kitchen samurai, do you have to commit seppuku if the soufflé flops?

8 Likes

The words knife and set should never appear in the same sentence, much less in a phrase.
Knife set is just not a thing. forget about “knife-set” as a thing… it’s not a thing.
Forget it.

2 Likes

Nah. However, you’ll end up being a ronin, endlessly drifting from one greasy spoon café to the next for the rest of your life.

4 Likes

Boing Boing articles : “Here’s the mess senseless capitalism gets you”
Boing Boing Shop : " Meat pies ! Hot sausages! Inna bun! So fresh the pig h’an’t noticed they’re gone!"

4 Likes

1 Like

I come here to get away from crap like this.
Is Boing Boing finally turning that page?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.